Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#235084 07/10/11 09:43 AM
dal Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have several shotguns (11-87, Gold Hunter, Zoli sxs, Laurona sxs and an M12 pump) that I take turns hunting or shooting at the range with. I shoot the Gold Hunter quite well on ducks, and typically 22+/- on trap and skeet. The other guns, not so well, with mid teens being the usual.

All the stocks have varying comb dimensions. I use a Wrapid Comb pad on the Gold Hunter.

So, will adjusting the comb (LOP?) on the other guns, to the same dimension as the GH, achieve better results? How do you guys get consistant results with varying guns?

I'm trying to save $'s on shells and time to at least get the other guns close, rather than trying from ground zero and working my way up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Don.

Life is too short to have a 'hate on' for so many things or people. Isn't it?
dal #235086 07/10/11 10:03 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It makes sense to duplicate what you shoot best, my duck hunting 390 matches my K-80 comp. gun. Its not an accident!

bill

dal #235088 07/10/11 10:13 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "same" stock dimensions on several different gun makes/models does not mean that they will all feel and handle the same for the shooter. What works with one may not work with another.

Ole Cowboy
dal #235099 07/10/11 11:14 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some shooters adjust adjust to different stock dimensions relatively easily. For others (me, for example) do significantly better with a gun that fits well. The "each gun is different" concept never helped me (although there is certainly a point to it).

If you find that you shoot one gun (with its specific set of stock dimensions) better than others, it is very likely that it fits you better, or is closer, than the other guns. While I wouldn't run out and get custom stocks for all the other guns, I would take thoughtful steps to move the other guns (one at a time) to those dimensions. It is quite likely that it will help you. Different weights balance points and moment of inertia won't change much, so the guns will still be different.

Take it slow after a change (a hundred rounds is minimal) because it takes time to settle in and get past the placebo effect.

Lorne #235108 07/10/11 12:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had one that really was a mystery to me.I had done three stocks for a shot gunshooter and all worked well for him. Then the last one threw me for fits.Turns out the front bead was higher than normal and it was throwing himoff. We replced the bead and all was well.

Normaly the same stype of shotgun will have the sam ebasic measurements for the shooter,but styles will shot differnt and O/U will be somewhat different than a SXS.

I have Fox Steringworth and an a NID Ithaca that I shoot and each has slight variations in the stock.
Cabelas sells a strap on device with shims that you can add or subtract to vary the comb height to get what you need. Greatway to start off.
Several shotguns now have shims that you can add to the raer of the reciver that varies the angle, ie changes the drop and cast.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beartooth makes a neoprene sleeve that slips on and has an assortment of foam inserts to raise the comb.

dal #235139 07/10/11 04:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi:

I have found what Don Moody said to be true in my case!

I have several guns that all have the same dimensions and I shoot each one differently! That is my scores are different with each gun. What I have to do is sell all of the guns that do not work well for me and keep the ones tht I shoot well. It will be an expensive lesson but what lesson in life is not?

I bought a SKB-Ithaca 200e 12 ga. several years ago and I just can not miss with that gun. I did so well with the 200e in 12 ga., went out and found one in 20 gage. I have not shot it yet but being a 20 gage fan, I hope that it works well for me. I do all of my hunting over a pointer and a 20 gage is a nice light gun to carry for this purpose

I also shoot a Remington 58 automatic very well. Please forgive for mentioning something from the Dark Side!

I have several O/U guns with the same dimensions that I can not shoot worth a hoot.

Oh yes, is there any reason to keep guns that one does not shoot well?

Sincerely,

Franchi

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.