Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm preparing to reload some 2-3/4" low-pressure 1 oz. handloads to use in a Damascus 10 ga. Baker for upland bird hunting. I have a set of 10/12 Gauge-Mate adapters.

My damascus lead reloads have been in the 6,000 psi range using #7625 powder. Legally, I need to be "Non-Tox" in some areas, and have ordered NICE SHOT. Supposedly I can use my same lead shot loading data, wads, powder, etc. for the NICE SHOT.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with a similar endeavor? Is there are a source of NICE SHOT reloading data for upland game? Much of the non-tox reload data is for heavy waterfowl use in 3" magnums.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

JERRY

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,
Ballistic Products is selling 7 lbs. of ITX shot for $117. It has a g/cc of 10 which is close to lead. It's a soft shot similar to Nice Shot.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ITX-Shot-Loading-Manual-2nd-ed/productinfo/00MTX/ Load manual for ITX

But you asked about Nice Shot. Here's a Nice Shot reloading blog:

http://ecotungsten-niceshot.blogspot.com/2007/11/reinventing-lead.html

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Seconding that motion, and asking for loading data for 2-7/8" and low pressure 3-1/2" ten bore recipes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,

First, Nice Shot will raise pressure by about 1500 PSI, per their website.

Second, shooting a 12 gauge in a 10 gauge gun will produce lower pressure. I do not know by how much but there is 6% more area in the bore of a 10 compared to a 12.

Finally, I've shot geese over decoys at 60 yards with 1 1/8 oz Nice Shot #2 and 7625 powder. This was a 6000 PSI load plus 1500 for the Nice Shot for a total of 7500 PSI. My LC Smith Chain Damascus barrels had no problem with it.

An ounce of small size Nice Shot at or about 6000 PSI should be fine in a good condition Baker. Good condition Damascus barrels are a lot stronger than we were lead to believe. Just ask Sherman Bell.

PS: If your barrels are pitted, rusted, or have been reamed it is best to have them checked by a competent double-gunsmith. Barrel wall thickness is very important.

Mark

Last edited by MarkOue; 07/06/11 08:03 PM.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Precision reloading has reloading data on nice shot that they have been working up. The best thing would be to call up precision and ask for their data. I have been absolutely knocking the ducks out of the sky with nice shot in #5. FWIW, I'm loading around 7/8oz of nice shot and getting amazing patterns. I can't see the benefit of throwing a heavy load of the stuff out there given its superior patterning and high cost. If you can't get nice shot load data anywhere else, PM me, and I'll send you what I have. My data is on my home computer which happens to be in the shop right now getting repaired, otherwise I'd send it right off.

I've gone through about 8 pounds of nice shot on game in the last 2 years. I'm happy to report that the one piece I missed and bit down on didn't break a tooth. I'm shooting it in my old doubles with great success.

Rob.

Last edited by Fishnfowler; 07/07/11 12:50 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the responses.

I took the 10 gauge Baker (30" F&F barrels) to the skeet range and shot a 20 and a 23, which surprised me. That load was 1 oz. of #8 shot with #7625 in 12 ga. hulls, using the 10/12 Gauge-Mate adapters. I still haven't patterened it, but shooting the 12 gauge shells in the 10 bore must result in somewhat open patterns judging from my skeet scores.

I plan to use this shotgun on pheasants this fall with #6 NICE shot.

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: jerry66stl
Thanks for the responses.

I took the 10 gauge Baker (30" F&F barrels) to the skeet range and shot a 20 and a 23, which surprised me. That load was 1 oz. of #8 shot with #7625 in 12 ga. hulls, using the 10/12 Gauge-Mate adapters. I still haven't patterened it, but shooting the 12 gauge shells in the 10 bore must result in somewhat open patterns judging from my skeet scores.

I plan to use this shotgun on pheasants this fall with #6 NICE shot.

JERRY

Jerry,

Nice Shot is almost exactly the same weight as high antimony lead. I'm shooting a size larger than I normally would with soft lead. I think you will be surprised at the patterns it throws even with the gauge-mates.

Rob.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guys - did you get any issues with barrel scoring etc on your Damascus barrels using NICE shot? I am considering it for reloading brass 8ga cases this coming season instead of Bismuth and would be interested in your practical experiences on wildfowl. I still have doubts over Tungsten personally (notably on the scoring of barrels front), even though I have over 50 thou of barrel thickness in my 8ga double.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.