April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 409 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

You are very welcome Sir!!! smile
That was a great read of a time in Africa when all those guys had to keep themselves alive was....Their wits, a whole lot of guts, and a James Purdey!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some good ones mentioned above; also Hunter by J.A.Hunter. Between the Elephants Eyes by Robert L Scott. Anything by D.D.Lyell such as Wild Life in Central Africa. The Man-eaters of Tsavo by J.H.Patterson. If you can find a copy then one to look for that tells about how to go on in the good old days is Big Game Shooting in Africa in the Lonsdale Library series and written by various authors for the various chapters. Even tells you where to hire the best coolies and what loads they should be able to carry. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

A great read on many things Africa is The Man Whom Women Loved: The Life of Bror Blixen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Salopian, Here are two illustrated books by Gordon Cumming from my library.
Wild men and Wild beasts,first published in 1871 my copy is the 1898 edition .By then Gordon had reached the rank of Lt;Col.
The lion hunter in South Africa,first published in 1850. A very popular this book; ran to 8 editions plus numerous reprints of the 7 edition.
Both books read like adventure stories!

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 07/04/11 05:35 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another good read is The Rifle And Hound In Ceylon by Sir Samuel White Baker

Sidelock
Sidelock

This was my first read about a Brit in Asia, I found it quite entertaining.

Sport on the Pamir Steppes

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Hell I Was There" by Elmer Keith. It's his life story. The majority of the book takes place in the western hemisphere but the last part of the book tells about his two African safaris.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My absolute favorite, which does get into Africa a bit, is Noel E. Money's (eldest son of Capt. A.W. Money aka Bluerock) shooting diaries that are in the rare books collection of the library of the Irving K. Barber Learning Center at the University of British Columbia. As a young Lt. in the 1880s he was assigned in India and did a lot of Boar hunting. Tigers must have been reserved for higher ranking officers! In the U.S. when he was working in the American E.C. & Schultze Powder Co. with his Father, in the 1890s, he went to Montana for Bison & Grizzly, and also Duck shooting along the Mississippi at Wapanoca. He then returned to England for some shooting then went hunting in the Atlas Mountains in North Africa. Then once Czar N-II got his railroad to Lake Baikal he went to Siberia Bear hunting. He then returned to serve Queen and Country in the Boar War in South Africa. He served again in The Great War, by then a Brigadier. He was with Allenby in Palestine and less than two weeks after taking Jeruselem he was out shooting Chuckers with his fellow officers. When his unit returned to Alexandria for the winter he spent much of his time shooting Ducks along the Nile. Got to hand it to the aides for quickly getting shotguns and shells to their officers during wartime conditions!!

Last edited by Researcher; 07/05/11 01:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"You are very welcome Sir!!!
That was a great read of a time in Africa when all those guys had to keep themselves alive was....Their wits, a whole lot of guts, and a James Purdey!!"

Old R. Gordon Cumming's Purdey 16 bore double rifle #1933 is still about. Auctioned for the family by Holts, I believe, in the 80's It is complete with most accesories including molds loading mallet, and spare mainsprings. The rifle appears to have been refurbished by Purdeys before and after the 5 year trek. [evidence on the rifle itself]

In reading "Five Years in the Far Interior of South Africa", it seems the Purdey did not get as much use as his other double rifles; notably his Moore, Dickson [blew up], and Westley Richards [acquired while there to replace the Dickson].

The rifle is in fine condition with bores still excellent. The case is still solid, but looks as if it had been rattling around in the back of a wagon for a while.

He also states "The Purdey was also a tried friend, both it and the old German having been with me in several campaigns on the plains and jungles of Hindostan."

Guns with history are great!

All the best, Mal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi:

While wasting time in high school, I read the books by Hunter perhaps J.A Hunter entitled White Hunter and hunter's Tracks. Perhaps you may be able to find copies of these books.

I did read other books about big game hunting but they seemed to get bogged down in sub theme small talk.

Good luck,

Franchi

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.