May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guy Ave, cable, Warren A, 1 invisible), 437 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,479
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clare,

Thanks for the kind words about my most recent book. A labor of love indeed!

Roger

C. Roger Bleile
Author of American Engravers-The 21st Century
FEGA Historian
www.engravingglossary.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

As to gold, I generally agree with my professional colleague KY Jon. On the other hand, if it is subtle and not over done, I don't mind a little here and there......

Both of these are, of course, examples of the modern engraver's art.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My preference for old or new may extend to overdone case colors too. If I won't be hunting the redone colors on my project guns to a more subdued tone, I may opt for a different style of finish. This is not a statement about Bob Blair's beautiful pictures, but they did get me to thinking about a couple of my projects in progress.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a big fan of well-executed. Plenty of that old and new.
Like Chuck said, "I know it when I see it."
As far as old goes, I really enjoy Woodwards along with the
fancy Greeners, Lindners and Harkoms.
Also enjoy the hi-end Smiths, Bakers and LeFevers.
-jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the vintage works of Loy and Kornbrath were of my liking very much so.

The bulino style is also one I like when done tastefully. I especially like it when combined with other techniques where deeper scroll and banknote is used.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The question I have for today's engravers is this: could you knock out a Purdey type engraving of the same quality in a couple days. Or, does the modern buyer demand much more perfection or whatever it's called?

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
I watched Barry Hands knock out some pretty nice stuff pretty quickly with his Italian made pnuematic engraver.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the old time stuff
Dog with tail and head down

Close up of one of the dogs

and stubby winged birds smile

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 06/22/11 04:25 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

"The question I have for today's engravers is this: could you knock out a Purdey type engraving of the same quality in a couple days. Or, does the modern buyer demand much more perfection or whatever it's called?"

Joe,

The present day connoisseur of high end double guns does expect a higher level of perfection and the best engravers can provide that.

When we speak of covering a sidelock double gun with rose and scroll in a couple of days you have to keep in mind that shops like Jack Sumner's and Harry Kell's had a number of journeymen and apprentices working for them. When a gunmaker sent in work on Monday with a note saying they needed it by Thursday, several people in the shop worked on the gun at the same time. The opening lever and trigger guard to one engraver, the forend iron and latch to another, the screws to an apprentice and so on.

One British engraver told me, about 30 years ago, that inexpensive Birmingham guns were sometimes engraved using what was known as "punch work" where one engraver cut all of the scroll spirals with a hammer and chisel and another cut the "inside work" with a burin.

Also keep in mind that engravers working for the trade in the UK and Europe receive the gun parts in the white, polished, and in the "soft" pre-hardened state. After engraving the parts are sent back to the maker for hardening and assembly. American engravers working for private customers usually receive a complete, assembled , hardened gun that they must disassemble, strip the finish, polish, engrave in the hardened state, then get refinished and reassembled. This all adds time and difficulty. It is also why American engravers favor air assisted gravers due to having to work on hardened gun steel, especially magnum revolvers.

Cheers,

Roger

Last edited by C. Roger Bleile; 06/22/11 05:55 PM.

C. Roger Bleile
FEGA Historian
Sidelock
Sidelock

"I watched Barry Hands knock out some pretty nice stuff pretty quickly with his Italian made pnuematic engraver."

Chuck H,

Barry uses a Lindsay PalmControl air graver made in Kearney, Nebraska by Steve Lindsay Engraving and Tools. The Lindsay PC is also my preferred choice of tools though, like most long time gun engravers, I use the burin, hammer and chisel, punches or anything that helps achieve the desired effect efficiently. An example and explanation of the Lindsay PalmControl AirGraver can be found at this link: http://www.engravingglossary.com/Hand%20Engraving%20Glossary%20L.htm

BTW: I know of no power assisted engraving tools made in Italy.

If anyone would like to learn more about the tools, terminology, and styles of engraving you can click on the link under my signature to visit my illustrated glossary. The glossary has over 300 definitions and over 400 images covering every aspect of hand engraving including terms in French, Italian, and German.

Cheers,

Roger

C. Roger Bleile
FEGA Historian
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.