Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Woke the three kids up at dawn, the boy (8) wanted to stay in bed, the girls (6 and 10) were keen to go for a morning dawn walk.

I let the 10 year old take my .22 (I got it when I was 11 so I figured it was a good time to start her) I told her she could take sitting shots at rabbits and I would back her up with the shotty. Its the same Beretta 12g 410E sxs I posted pics of a few days ago. I had some number 4's (36gm) to take.

We were 5 minutes into the walk when a hare bolted from a boxthorn clump at full noise running away from us. It was not a .22 shot due to the speed, so I hit it with a first barrel at about 30m (once I realised it wasn't stopping for my daughter) and then it crossed to the left and I hit it again. we walked about 10 paces towards where the hare had gone down, I had time to drop two more shells into my gun and a fox, no doubt making a getaway after the noise came over a contour bank toward us. He was only at a trot about 25m away so made an easy broadside target. He must have misjudged the direction of the noise and clearly had not seen us. He dropped instantly. After this we saw two more foxes within the next few minutes, but they were outside shotgun range and I couldnt get my hands on the .22 fast enough. We tried to whistle them up, but I think due to the noise and the wind picking up they were becoming very skittish. So the whole walk only lasted about an hour.
I took some pics to share the short morning hunt with you all.

I also found these pig rootings, I will take some SG's next time.

Some pics of the country this block offers.

Check out the white foot on this fox - I have not seen one like this before.

What is it about these old guns that draws us in?
www.firearms4sale.com.au
Sidelock
Sidelock

VERY, VERY NICE Roy...........thanks for sharing the photo's...good job well done.....!.... I'll bet your daughters were excited.......

I think more morning walks are in order mate.........

Cheers....

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's great that your young ones wanted to go. My son when he was 5 years old use to tag along with me. When he got a little older I let him shoot at the pen raised pheasants that flew in the trees upon being flushed. Had to hold the barrel up for him. After a while he didn't want to shoot them out of the trees, wanted to try them flying, but that was later when he was older.

Are the red foxes the only ones, or do you have any gray ones there? Any upland birds, quail or pheasant around?

Great pictures and post some more when you go again.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 5yo is bored with ducks after this season...
We have stubble quail, but no pheasants (unless going to King Is. or one of a bare handful of shoot and release places). There isn't quite the wingshooting tradition in Aust that is in US/EU/UK - but some world class wingshooting can be had if you're in the know.
Looks like a good piece of countryside able to offer a good mixed bag. I love a walk through that sort of stuff.
RG

Sidelock
Sidelock

Enyoyed the photos!

The hare looks to be about as big as the fox!

Best

Cameron Hughes
Joe Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't know foxes were good to eat!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the pictures Roy and thank you for sharing your experiences!!
Beautiful Beretta you have there and you certainly know how to use it!! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy, pardon me but them don't look like no marsupials I ever seen! Sure you're on the right continent, mate?

Just kidding; I guess you have "invasive species" like we do in CA. We had Eastern red foxes too, brought in by the horse and hounds set and very damaging to some ground nesting native birds. But the resurgent coyotes ate them! Now we just see the native gray or "tree" foxes.

Neat "rough shoot," just what I like to do, too. Here we get to pack a handgun along with the shotgun, which helps when you need to reach out a little more.

That hare looks more like one of our American jackrabbits ( also hares) than the European hares I've seen. Do you know where they originated?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roy,thanks for sharing the hunt and pictures with us. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's great taking the kids out. I have a 20 year old coming out this evening to shoot .22. The kid comes from a family that never was interested in guns. I'm propping up some clays in my lawn grass to make it more fun. I think we are planting seeds for the future.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.