April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Borderbill, Dave Weber, Longknife, SKB), 462 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am fitting the proper rear sight to a vintage Remington M14. The proper sight has a wheeled elevator, I am replacing the blank in the dovetail slot.

The new sight will not start in the barrel dovetail (I am installing from right to left) so I have to file the sight. I have the proper file, 60 degrees and two sides safe.

I imagine the proper procedure is to measure slot in the barrel and file the sight. Should the sight be tapered to allow it to wedge in or should I file it as close to the width of slot as possible and keep the edges parallel? How many .001's tolerance is OK to keep the dovetail from moving?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob:

While the sight could be fit by measuring the two dovetails with rolls and doing the math, it is not really necessary.

I assume your new sight is close to the correct size. Pick one side of the dovetail on the sight and file it at a very slight angle so as to make it tighter as it goes in. You really don't need the wedging angle, but ever so slight of one will prevent the opposite angle, where it gets looser as it goes in.

You can use a magic marker to color the metal as you file, to be sure that you are cutting where you wish to. Just go slowly and carefully until the sight will start into the dovetail on the barrel. Reinking with the marker will show where the interference is. Take another stroke of the file and try again.

Ultimately you want it to tap into place. The key is to find the happy place between a beat it in fit and a slide it though and fall out the other side fit. It is not difficult if you are patient.

Best of luck.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good advice!
Also, lightly dub off the sharp edges of the male dovetail.
I file a small flat on the bottom of my brass drift to sit on the bottom of the dovetail.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you gentlemen, I will proceed with caution.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

After you fit the rear sight do you usually reblue the filed side?

Rob

- Errol Flynn

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.