April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Karl Graebner, Tim in PA, FlyChamps, Jimmy W, NCTarheel), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,

I agree with the others, that is a beautiful gun. I bet it handles wonderfully. I generally admire others guns on here without envy, but that one has me green.

Rob.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The guns of the A.P. Curtis patent era are above the norm in engraving and wood to metal fit, even in the lower grades. I have a Curtis Ideal ten whose engraving doesn't look anything like a later Ideal. Smiths from that era don't seem to suffer from stock cracking either. Thanks for the info on the engravers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's highly unlikely that Albert Kraus did this engraving. The Trap Grade was the second grade to have engravng after the Ideal Grade and before 1913 this was a Grade 1. His work was on the higher graded guns and his favorites were dogs.
It would be the same for the checkers, only the most enperienced did the higher graded guns and the lower grades were done by apprentices.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most of the leading classic gun manufacturers during this era used contract engravers who divided their time between the several gun manufacturers and non-related outside commission assignments. Fortunately for the Hunter Arms Co. and collectors of L.C. Smith shotguns, Albert E. Kraus was a fulltime employee of Hunter and worked exclusively for them during his entire 55 year career. Apparently, the only outside work done by Mr. Kraus for someone other than the Hunter Arms Co., was for the United States Mint for whom he engraved printing plates used in the printing of U.S. currency.

Fortunately for L.C. Smith collectors, Mr. Kraus' long exclusive career with the Hunter Arms Co. contributed to the consistent quality of engraving that is found on L.C. Smith shotguns, especially in the higher grades, throughout the entire period of 1890 to 1950. This consistency of execution and overall quality is something that few, if any, other classic gun makers can claim.

Mr. Kraus was also a talented painter. His oil paintings of dogs, horses, and landscape scenes are highly sought after and prized possessions among collectors of the L.C. Smith shotgun.

At the height of his career, Mr. Kraus was considered to be one of the four best engravers in the world, although his name seldom, if ever, appears on the guns.

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Albert Kraus was more than a full-time engraver of the Hunter Arms company; he was also the manager of the engraving department. From the research I have conducted it appears that Hunter Arms always operated a full time, and fully staffed in-house engraving department; and that the engraving department continued to operate throughout the Marlin ownership era and on thru the end of Smith gun production, although I am unable to determine the size of the engraving crew. At any rate, in part of my research I spoke with an individual who knew Kraus personally and who told me that, as a department manager, Kraus came across as a tough crusty old guy; but that one of his primary concerns was scheduling "his men" with enough hours each week so that they could make a living and support their families. As a general rule of the shop, each man was assigned work according to his skill level and abilities at performing certain types of engraving tasks; as they developed their skills guys apprenticed to Kraus were the lowest paid workers and were assigned grunt work such as heavy chiseling, filing, and burnishing, another more skilled engravers might be assigned certain game scenes, etc. Basically, the more skilled engravers were assigned the higher grades; and the least skilled, the lowest grades (Skeet, Ideal, Trap). To save time and lower production costs, for standard engraving patterns Kraus fabricated brass templates cut out with pattern outlines which were fastened over the side plates; and from which the primary pattern outlines were scribed. After scribing the pattern, the engraver assigned to the work would cut the pattern to the proper depth; then fill in/add to that pattern the appropriate style and amount of scroll work. I've seen a number of these templates to include patterns for the Ideal, Specialty, Crown, etc; and interestingly, noted that these "standard" pattern layouts changed slightly from time to time (I've seen at least three different variations of the Ideal for example). I have in my possession a couple of original engraving department daily time sheets listing the names of four engravers assigned to one gun (based on serial number). These are early time sheets when the labor rate was about 20 cents an hour for gun decoration. I also have an original Marlin era receipt dated 1950 where Marlin subcontracted an engraving project to Charles Jerred and paid him $1.50/hour (inflationary times!). I suspect that most of Kraus's actual engraving time was reserved for elaborate projects; and have been told that Kraus did nearly all gold inlay work seen on surviving Smith guns. I've also been told that Kraus signed two guns he engraved, both beneath the opening lever; but I've never seen such a gun personally, and with the name of Thomas must see it to believe. I take that position based on my research on Jerred, as Charles Jerred never signed any of his engraving prior to the work he did on Ruger pistols; and with those pieces he used only his initials, which were crafted so that they appeared to be part of the scroll pattern. Engravers from this period certainly weren't required to sign their work; as those artisians within the trade could instantly ID the work of their contemporaries.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A little more Trap eye candy. A horrible picture of my 1916 Trap 10ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Chris--you need an unfired 12 bore Trap Grade to go along with this nice 10! I think I'll send one down to you........

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

And one with ejectors too. Not too many in that configuraton.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, I could handle that!

Murphy, an Ideal 10 would look good with it!!

CB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chris
Be sure to post another pic of the big 10; but this time with its 12-bore mate!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.