April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fab500, SKB, Jem Finch, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 442 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,153
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I'm thinking of buying long distance from a private seller on Gunsamerica. I've bought on the internet from reputable dealers that we are all familiar with, no problems ever. I was just wondering if there are any hints you guys could give me to make sure the transaction goes smoothly.

Sidelock
Sidelock

get his real name
get his phone#
get his name at whatever BBS's and check him out
on the 'net check the name against the #
check his feedback
if it's a lotta money have him deliver the gun to an FFL, phone the FFL and have him verify to you the gun/cond./etc and THEN send the $. I might be tempted to even have the FFL ship the gun, it could easy be worth the extra money (if any)

can't be too careful cuz there are bad guys out there as we all know.

JMO of course

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've read a recommendation, maybe on this site, to have the seller take a photo of the gun with his cellphone. This is to prevent a scammer from copying photos off the net and pawning them off as his own. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've bought a number of guns from established companies and dealers without any concern.

I have bought two shotguns, a Beretta 303 and a Beretta 471 from individual sellers in LA and WV. I spoke with both on the phone and felt comfortable sending them the money. Both guns were as described and the transactions went without a hitch.

Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks for the replies. Using an FFL as a intermediary is a good idea. The cell phone picture is clever. I'll proceed with caution. The gun's not cheap.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been lucky I guess; I've bought four guns from individuals on the internet, and all were at least as good as described if not better. Good thing I'm pretty much done, 'cause I've probably pushed my luck!

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 05/30/11 10:05 AM.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun is not a bonified/legal antique, legally it has to be shipped to an FFL holder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Iv repeated this a number of times already...I lost $1000 to a private seller [Kenneth Jackson] in Tucson AZ a number of years ago...he had guns listed on gunsamerica, I talked to him on the phone [twice], used postal money order to pay, ....after the fact I talked numerous times to the postal inspector, tucson police, FBI agent, nobody would help. They knew who the guy was because he sold the same guns to numerous buyers and had sold other items B4 that he never delivered on....They said file a lawsuit against the guy and try to get a small claims case against him, but also said that that would probably do no good because he was on disability and you cant touch that....Just be careful and if not 100% sure use an independent middleman...

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it is very important to visit with the seller on the phone. It won't take long to determine if you feel comfortable with him/her. Also find it helpful to ask how they'll handle the funds until you approve the purchase after inspection. If they're going to make a past due house payment, etc. you might be a bit wary.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can get screwed on the net faster than any other almost anywhere else on Earth if you are not careful. A "seller" on the net is just an name and what you hope is his real name. Scams and rip offs are out there so be real careful. Talk to the person and get a land line, not his cell phone. I can go to Wallmart and buy a trac phone, get a number and it will be good for 30 days. Try tracking down a person who has that as his contact number after the check clears. Isn't going to happen.

If the gun is worth the effort I would think about a fast trip out to look at the gun in person. Still have to ship to FFL but a in person look is not that much more than two way shipping of a gun. Southwest flies a lot of places for very reasonable rates. A $300-500 round trip ticket might save you a lifetime of regrets. Get screwed once and you will never forget it. I got screwed on Gunbroker. Lost my money and Gunbroker refused to do anything. I will never, ever, give them a dime of my money. Trust but verify as they use to say.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.