April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jem Finch, Stanton Hillis, 2 invisible), 1,120 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#230216 05/28/11 10:42 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can some one tell me purpose of the little screw that's under the lever on circa 1900 Lefever shotguns? Thank you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is to lock the safety in the off position.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

That little screw adjusts the safety to be either automatic or manual--your choice.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't believe that screw will allow the safety to be operated manually at all, I believe it locks the safety in the off position (as Glenn noted) so that the gun is ready to fire at all times; at least that is how it works on my G Grade. In my opinion, having that screw convert the safety to operate manually would be far more preferable than the way in which it is designed; I suppose Uncle Dan was thinking this would be a great device for trap shooters, but I never seem to have a screw driver when I want to make that adjustment?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Glenn and Topgun are correct: when the top lever is brought over to its widest position to the right, the safety slide retreats to a rear 3rd position which is safety off. It will only stay there if the screw you have asked about is screwed in about one turn. The gun is now a no safety live bird gun (or in my hands a target gun). Turn the screw out and you have an automatic safety hunting gun once again.
Many of these selective Lefever safeties have been disabled or are broken, probably due to lack of understanding. My local gunsmith has been able to restore them for me on 3 Lefevers. The mechanism is well described in the reproduction Lefever catalogs available thru Cornell (http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/historic-lefever-firearms.php).
Another upstate New York gun company, L.C. Smith copied this concept with their 3 way safety. Conceptually, it works the same but functionally it is dangerous because one can mistakenly pull the safety back into the fire all the time position and not realize it.

Dr. P #230229 05/29/11 07:22 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dr. P
Glenn and Topgun are correct: when the top lever is brought over to its widest position to the right, the safety slide retreats to a rear 3rd position which is safety off. It will only stay there if the screw you have asked about is screwed in about one turn. The gun is now a no safety live bird gun (or in my hands a target gun). Turn the screw out and you have an automatic safety hunting gun once again.
Many of these selective Lefever safeties have been disabled or are broken, probably due to lack of understanding. My local gunsmith has been able to restore them for me on 3 Lefevers. The mechanism is well described in the reproduction Lefever catalogs available thru Cornell (http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/historic-lefever-firearms.php).
Another upstate New York gun company, L.C. Smith copied this concept with their 3 way safety. Conceptually, it works the same but functionally it is dangerous because one can mistakenly pull the safety back into the fire all the time position and not realize it.

I have to agree with you,on both count's...

and that Smith safety is indeed a thing to be aware of.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For the reasons just stated I find the Lefever set-up to be preferred over the 3 position Auto/Manual as used by some other makers. Uncle Dan generally knew what he was doing.

Failure to include a proper screwdriver in your target shooting kit is not the fault of the gun but "OP".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a couple Flues with the 3-way as well.

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

As to 3-position safeties, Syracuse Arms (and perhaps other companies) also offered a 3-position safety on special request. I have only seen one example of the Syracuse gun with the 3-position safety; so it was not popular, but I agree that the confusing nature of these devices in the "heat" of shooting could be dangerous (although I admit I haven't heard of anyone being accidentally shot with a Smith gun because of safety position confusion). I personally prefer a non-automatic safety; and had the vast majority of my doubles converted to manual safety operation. Interestingly, Smith guns with the Hunter One-trigger option have a manual safety because the trigger mechanism would not permit the installation of a push bar attached to the top lever; so one will not find a Smith gun with the HOT option and a 3-position safety.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, the two Syracuse L.C. Smiths I have, a 10 ga. and a 12 ga. both have the 3 position safety. I belileve in their catalog of 1888, it states that they are supplied with the 3 position safety and why.

You are correct on the FW frame, an installed HOT cannot have an automatic safety as that area where the safety slide goes is milled out along with some of the top tang to allow the second firing. It rises up and almost touches the top tang.
However on a Regular frame gun, an automatic safety can be used.
I was assured by the owner of this Specialty Gr. that this came from the factory like this.

Last edited by JDW; 05/29/11 11:54 AM.

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.