May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Argo44, LGF, earlyriser, buckstix, NTaxiarchis, AGS), 720 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,619
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am refreshing a 10 Ga. Ideal grade LC Smith with the intentions of making it last another 100 years. Made in 1917, only 158 made. Also a bit unusual because it was configured to be a bit lighter and the chokes are improved mod and full, not full and fuller. These 10's were built with left over damascus barrels from pre-1913 models. I intend to take her duck hunting and not leave her in the closet.

It has definitely be used , but mechanically it is still tight. There was a lot of rust inside the action and I finally lost a mainspring. Cleaned it up nicely. if you guys have not used evapo-rust, you are missing out on a great product.

Now the question is, do I re-case it or not? I would like to, but here is the issue. There are small rust pits on the outside. If I polish out the action, I will loose the engraving, which is still in very good condition. I don't think I want to have the cut anneal, polished recut and cased. A bit too much for an Ideal grade. So what should I do?

I already re-did the barrels, trigger guard and stock.

Opinions wanted...

Thanks

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,

Leave it be. Even in the best hands metal can warp. To have the engraving redone is over the top for this gun.

You took it as far as it could go. Be proud of that.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete is right on. I have had more than a few double rifles re case colored. ALL of them had warpage of some degree. The larger the action, the more it warped. This is from two different color case shops. ONE FRAME CRACKED! These were English blackpowder doubles that came from India many years ago and needed total restoration. This was back in the 1980's and have not had any done since.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You've stopped further deterioration.

The frame finish is strictly cosmetic, and replaced colors will just wear off again.

Just shoot it and enjoy!

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Re-caseing over pitting is somewhat like putting lipstick on a pig but on the other hand some folks like dolled up porkers. Go with your conscious and don't look back. Your first instincts are usually the right ones if you are sober when you make them.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Twice barrel, Good comment. Thanks to all, I have been leaning on a slight polish and putting on a clear protectant and leaving it at that, although I had thoughts of making it a french gray, but it just seemed to out of character.

JErry

Sidelock
Sidelock

This the main reason that any double rifle has to be re-proofed after re-case hardening. The process puts them out of proof.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Older Doc
This the main reason that any double rifle has to be re-proofed after re-case hardening. The process puts them out of proof.

I've never heard that before, could you please tell me where that rule is in place...and more importantly who inforces it

Just curious

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Older Doc,
I haven't heard of this Rule either....you sure thats right?
Actually as the frame has been "Messed with" as in re hardening, in an integral way it kinda makes sense .To make sure taint too hard or soft.
But had never heard of such before.
ShotGuns as well?
Cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I actually LIKE some guns re coloured. It depends on the gun for me...and personally the value..I do it myself so if I bugger it up (haven't so far but just in case..) I don't do my high value guns...yet...

T

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.