March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend of mine would like for me to sell a couple of his guns including the nicely engraved MADE IN BELGIUM" Pieper double as pictured below. He doesnt get to gun shows anymore and doesnt do computers, so Im trying to find out what a fair selling price would be.
Its a 12 gauge with 29 5/8, 75 cm "BAVARD" steel barrels (for SMOKELESS POWDER) choked full and full with nice bores. Gun weighs a light 6 3/4 pounds, has a 14 stock and nice shooting dimensions and skeleton butt plate.
Looks to have most of its original finish but has a small hole near the toe of the stock from the missing swivel. There is the typical swivel attached to the bottom rib.
See the pictures for more detail. More pix available.
Thanks in advance for any and all opinions offered.

Jolly

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that hole in the top lever original?

With the proviso that it is hard to make a good assessment of condition from photos and with no first hand knowledge of the condition of the barrels, I would hazard a guess in the $1200 to $1500 range, subject to actual knowledge of condition.

But mine's just one opinion. I'm basing mine on my own limited experience with Piepers and what I've paid for them over the last five years (4 boxlocks and a sidelock) as well as what I have actually paid for a couple of sidelocks from other not well known continental makers in the last year.

I saw a VERY similar Pieper move a little more than a year ago for I think just under $2000. It seemed to be in substantially better condition than this one. Wood finish much better (according to photos) and again, while hard to tell from photos, the engraving seemed crisper (I suppose it could be the lighting in the photo). Checked the serial numbers...close but different.

Can anyone date this gun. I'm terrible at it, even when I'm holding the gun, looking at the flats and referencing proofs from my books.

Regards,

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Belgian SLE with the lower case "e"...can't find my list , but believe it to be 1926...or perhaps 1929....but I think '26
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels weighed 3.39 lbs at time of proof. The gun has the date stamp of 1926 (very good Franc). It is nitro proofed.

The gun was made by the Henri Pieper company. It looks very much like the Model 415 produced by A.E.P. (a name used for a short time after Pieper's death) about 20 years earlier. Bayard was a trade name used by the Pieper company for many of their guns.

I have seen this extensive engraving on other Pieper guns, but do not recall seeing a pierced lever before.

There is more about Pieper and his Bayard trade mark here:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post164088

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post146477

I can remember a number of discussions about the origins of "Bayard". Turns out, Henri lived on Rue de Bayard in Liege.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Pete and Franc for getting the date down for me. Can't believe how bad I am at that.

Pete, the gun that was up for auction at RIA last winter had the same pierced top lever and very similar game scenes, as far as I can tell from the photos. But it was a different gun.
Regards,

James

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would think $750 to 1000 to be a more realistic price to sell this gun. The market for doubles seems to be in the doldrums now, and this maker is a hard sell in any market as it is not well known as a quality maker, whatever the quality of this particular gun. Most of the Pieper production was marketed as middle market quality. Most of the ones I have seen were "mass produced" in an era when that was not necessarily a good thing. It is not a Janssen, Bury or even a Defourney, or one of the other high quality Belgian makers.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your input and comments on my friends gun.

I agree, it is difficult to make a realistic assessment of a gun with pictures, especially one's that are so so.

I've added two more pictures below of the left and right side of the receiver showing the hole in the top lever and more close up of the engraving. Looks like the hole in the top lever is original.

The barrels are in fine shape with no dents or pits. The wood finish has a couple blemishes but otherwise OK.

Thanks again for the responses.

Jolly

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Thanks Pete and Franc for getting the date down for me. Can't believe how bad I am at that.

Pete, the gun that was up for auction at RIA last winter had the same pierced top lever and very similar game scenes, as far as I can tell from the photos. But it was a different gun.
Regards,

James

Good memory. I didn't bid because I was convinced it would go for more than I was willing to pay. If I recall, it sold for under $1,000.

Here is another one.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete

That is the same gun RIA had. And I don't have the sale prices but I thought it went for over $1500 and under $2000. Pre sale estimate was something like $1400 to $1800 and I thought it ended up on the high side. But my memory could be faulty. It often is. LOL

If it did sell for under $1000, I should have bought it!

Your pics are of the gun MikeeJ had. I believe that gun had a 45xxx serial number and the gun belonging to the friend of the OP is 47xxx.

I have top view pics of both MikeeJ's gun and the RIA gun. There are some very small imperfections in the metal around the top lever that are the same for both guns. I'm guessing he's the one who won the auction.

Going back to the original question, what I am not clear on is what, if anything, has happened to the US market over the last 12-18 months. I see a lot of the same guns so I am assuming it's soft but I don't know if pricing has changed much. The two don't always go hand in hand. Canada has not been hit quite as hard as south of the border.

Most of my Piepers were purchased before 2008, although I picked one up from a fellow poster on this site last month. It's a 16 gauge, identical to another one I have, but with much less engraving. I was waffling on it until I noticed the serial number was 3 numbers away from mine. I get a chuckle imagining the two of them moving down Pieper's assembly line together and ending up with me 90 years later.

Regards,

James

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jolly, have you a picture of the top of the action, with the barrels on and the action closed. I'd like to see the fit between the barrels and the action. Thanks.

Regards,

James

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.