April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Stanton Hillis, ClapperZapper, Jimmy W, SKB, MattH), 983 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,171
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228497 05/13/11 01:00 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Going to go dig another one out of an old guy's closet. Supposed to be an "L" model Baker. Where did Baker stamp or engrave the grade marking? This is an 1897 hammer gun??
Old guy says it's in real nice condition.
What's a ballpark starting offer; before we get to the arm wrestling etc. I'll have lots more information tomorrow, including some not-very-good cellphone pics....Thanks, Grant
Oh!! Almost forgot......It's a ten gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The L grade is a high grade Baker hammerless. If I remember correctly Baker introduced the L grade around 1905 and it eventually became the Expert grade in later years putting it just one level below their top of the line Deluxe grade. A lot of the Baker guns are not marked with a grade designation and I don't remember off the top of my head whether the L grade guns were typically marked but I don't think they were.

Take a look here:

http://www.bakercollectors.com/index.php?p=1_10_Photos

Scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page and there are a few images of a couple nice L grade Bakers.

There are a couple members here that will be able give better advice than I can on what a fair offer might be. It's rare to see an L grade or higher Baker for sale, so there's just not much to go by.

Grant - If you decide you are not interested in purchasing it please let me know. PM sent

Last edited by BPFischer; 05/13/11 09:50 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Baker Gun & Forging Co. only catalogued the Model 1897 hammer gun in two versions, both "D" Grade. One with Twist barrels --

and one with Damascus barrels --

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl Hallquist is probably the most knowledgable guy around when it comes to Baker prices. However, I know that he is currently in Europe and may not have email or internet with him. Chris Schotz may be able to give you some advice.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oldmodel70, give me a call when you see it, and I will pull out some Baker catalogs and try and walk you through the data.
Craig
507-373-2284

Sidelock
Sidelock

The "L" grade is a fairly rare gun. As stated, there are two shown on the Baker website. They were only offered for three years according to the Baker Gunners. These guns were not marked as to grade. They are easily identified by engraving and checkering patterns along with the serial number. The serial number from that grade also includes other higher grade Bakers.
If you want to send me photos of the gun, I'll be glad to identify it for you, or you can post photos on this site.
Chris
hiflyer34@hotmail.com

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, here's "The Rest of The Story" on the Baker 10 gauge.
Old guy dug the gun out of the closet. Hadn't looked at it in years. Gun is indeed a 10 gauge, with damascus barrels with the little stars. I could tell when I took the fore-end off. The rest of the barrels were a uniform dark brown patina? All the screws on the gun were remarkably, uniformly, BUGGERED! Massive amounts of case-color exhibited,(like the big dealers say;)in microscopic protected areas......Engraving very well
worn.....Wood; horrible....Butplate used to crack impregnable walnuts for toothless squirrels.
Was indeed a hammer gun with an "L" stamped on the barrel lug.
The lug, by the way, was quite buggered....
Over the phone, the old guy claimed the gun was very nice, with a fitted case. Case was an old trashed band instrument case of some kind; with bare wooden dividers; home made.
I asked the guy what he had to have for the gun, and he says, "I'll take 1200 bucks for "her"..... I told him he was a thousand bucks too high..... He got kinda' surly, and didn't want to visit with me anymore.....???
Oh! Did I mention the pretty deep dent in the right barrel??
He wasn't very chatty as he showed me out........
I drove away rather crestfallen.
Can't wait 'till the next closet queen shows up.... Grant.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OM70,

I'm sorry it didn't work out. If it makes you feel any better this is just typical of my luck.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Grant,
I've been chasing Bakers for close to 30 years. I've been on many wild goose chases. Sometimes they do pay off. I found one of my "L" grades hanging over a fireplace mantle. It was quite dirty after many years of being covered in soot. It cleaned up well enough.
Keep looking.
Chris

Last edited by Chris Schotz; 05/17/11 07:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry to hear the sad tale Grant. I was looking forward to seeing pics of a nice L grade with some honest wear that had been loved and treasured by its owner... Oh well, maybe the next one!

I've been collecting Bakers for almost 20 years and I've yet to physically see an L grade. One of these days.

Good luck on the next one!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.