April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Steve Nash, smlekid, MattH, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 498 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BUCK2 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Were the side plates on Lefevers functional?

If I remember correctly I have read that Lefevers did not have side locks.

I never have liked guns that have side plates that didnt serve a function. I dont know why, but I dont.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Buck,

Had you ever serviced or dissambled a Parker, Fox, LC Smith, or Lefever you would know function of side plates. Removing the side plates allows one to clean the action easily. To remove the stock of a Lefever is not much more difficult than removing the side plated and a nother screw or two. Assembly is just as easy. Try that with another American SxS!

Also, as I wrote to you previously, Dan Lefever invented many of the now familiar mechanisms found classic and today's SxS's. There was little on a Lefever Arms gun that was not functional except engraving.

USMC Retired
BUCK2 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not trying to knock Lefevers, just trying to learn more about them. I see your point about cleaning the action.

For some reason I like box lock guns not to have side plates.

Was Lefevers considered a box lock, side lock, or something in-between?

Sidelock
Sidelock

On the earlier Lefevers the sears and their springs were mounted on the side plates. Later guns had only the cocking indicator attached to the side plate.

I've heard people say that the Lefevers are a "hybrid" and/or a "side-plated boxlock".

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll also add that if you've ever dis-assembled an old Parker or other vintage boxlock in order to clean or repair any of the internal mechanism then you'll probably appreciate the ease of removing the Lefever sideplate for access. I'm not sure if that was Uncle Dan's reason for going with this particular design, but in my opinion it creates a beautiful looking gun with function and features that are hard to argue with.

When it's all said and done, it's just a matter of taste as to what design a person likes and prefers the looks of.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Once the side plates are off, there isn't much difference in removing (or replacing) the butt stock than most other non-through bolt boxlocks. I find them all about the same as far as working on them.
Tang screws, trigger plate &screw(s), sears (frame mounted) and the wood is off.
Not a whole lot you can get at or really repair with just the plates off.

Nice looks though..

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you look at shotguns in general it will be noted the working parts occupy different positions in the typical boxlock vs the typical sidelock. In the Lefever, while technically a box lock the parts, particular hammers & mainsprings occupy virtually the same position in the frame as a sidelock.

Upon removing the sideplates the main spring can be removed, the hammer axle pushed out & hammers plus coocking hook can all be removed. The sear springs can also be removed. All of this without touching a stock screw. I don't recall for positive but don't think the sears themselves will come out, except of course on the early models in which they are mounted to the plates.

The plates thus are "Functional" on even the latest DS which has nothing attached to it, not even indicators. They are not merely boxlocks wearing Falsies.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Once the side plates on a Lefever are removed the stock can be removed. One doesn't need to remove the sears or any other parts to remove a Lefever stock.

I love my Parkers and Smiths but to remove a Parker stock one need to be careful and first remove the sears. Its not hard escept perhaps the first time I tried it! smile LC Smiths difficulty comes in reassembly. Once can learn to do it but it does take practice. Smith and Parker stock removal and assembly is 2 to 3 times harder than for Lefever.

The ease of servicing a Lefever is something the average gun owner should have found desirable. For me, after a day or two in the duck boat it sure is nice to easily check for moisture in the action!

PS: Something not functional about sideplates is that they provide engravers a lot of room to practice their trade.

Mark

Last edited by MarkOue; 04/30/11 06:30 AM.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, on later guns, I think the sears must be removed before one is able to get the action and buttstock separated. I don't know if this is true on all hammerless guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Side plates are also good for spiting stocks. Dad had a 12 ga and his cousin had a 16 both of which I could use anytime.Both had cracked stocks. I shot my first pheasant with the 12 and my first grouse with the 16. Hunting with them was great and they had great workmanship. However I was told never to take them the trap range as they wouldn't take it.

When I was 21 I found a mint condition 20 ga and I thought I had the greatest gun ever built. I remember taking it to the skeet field and an old timer telling me I shouldn't use it for skeet as it wouldn't take it. I didn't want to belive him but three years later I sent it down the road with a number of issues.

I think the old timers knew more than todays experts.

ac

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.