April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, SKB, Dan R, bsteele, 2 invisible), 465 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,093
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've got a nice little 16g double on the way that is in very good condition with the exception of a couple buggered screws. These hurt my eyes. No, they hurt my soul. OK, maybe they're not that bad, but I don't like to look at them. I figured someone on this board has probably solved this problem already. I'd appreciate it if you want to share your experiences. Here are some solutions I've thought about:
1. Get new screws made. Probably expensive. Might not match the patina of the rest of the gun.
2. Take a file to the most offensive parts of the buggering. If I make things worse, I can resort to solution #1.
3. Live with it.

Opinions appreciated.

Last edited by ghostdog; 04/28/11 03:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

4. Find a good welder, weld up the screw heads, recontour and cut the slot.

That's the way everybody I know does it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've talked with several people that had the screws repaired or replaced on several Parkers by Turnbull mfg. and were quite happy with the results and the cost in doing so was quite reasonable. I've also seen several of their screw repair jobs and was amazed as to how they were engraved and color blended to match the surrounding patina. I ran a finger across each screw and swore it felt original to the gun. This would probably be your surest bet and you'll be quite pleased. G

Sidelock
Sidelock

ghostdog,I agree with your sentiments regarding bxxxx screws, and for that matter damaged to cover,lock and trigger plates caused by the use of incorrectly fitted/prepared turnscrews.
Scarcely an edition of the D.G.J arrives without evidence of damaged Screws/plates.For example;in the Spring 2011 edition, on page 37, a fine Baker shotgun is pictured with a a"butchered screw".To make matters worse the screw slots are out of line, another pet peeve of mine.
In the winter 2010 D.G.J page 30 we see the damage to the bottom plate of Newton boxlock Caused by use of a badly prepared/fitting turnscrew[This kind of side-slip,mishap can be avoided by simply filing a radius on the outside edges of your turn screws].In this example the sharp edge left on a turnscrew gouged an arc of metal from the trigger plate.This same illustration highlights the adverse appearance of misaligned screws.
As recommended by Dick Jones,Welding up the damaged screws and recutting the slot so as to be,"in correct alignment after assembly",followed by polish and re engraving to match the origional screw,is an excellent method.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 04/28/11 05:12 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the damage consists of metal from the screw slot being lifted up
etc. it is surprising how much it can be improved by removing the screw,putting it in a vice, and working carefully with a small flat faced punch and hammer to move the metal back into the slot.
Touching up the slot with a screw slot file and a little aging
will make a big difference. Maybe not perfect, but a lot easier on the eyes if you don't want to go the weld/engrave route.

Last edited by Terry Lubzinski; 04/28/11 05:29 PM.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roy, I here ya. Look, not every guy needs to have all his screws perfectly timed on his gun, but if you're going to putit in DGJ, you might want to line them all up. I remember one of the Italian shotgun makers (thinking Franchi or Fausti) had an add a couple years back with misaligned screws. Nothing against those guns- I own a Franchi and like it, but that sort of thing doesn't too much for the reputation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welding the heads of screws is one way, here's another. These screws will get a "shop slot" for fitting, then will marked to be cut flush to the forend surface and a slot marked in alignment with the desired direction, then cut off, filed flush and slotted.

Last edited by Chuck H; 04/28/11 05:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ghost:
If you have a firm in your area that does micro-TIGing, for electronics or aerospace industries I think, they may be able to help you. I have a friend who had a Piotti with a buggered-up slot on the lock screw that ties down one of the trigger guard screws (Now you know how narrow those Italian slots are to begin with). He sent it to a micro-TIG welding firm, and darned if they didn't weld up the EDGES of that screw slot, so all he had to do was trim off the top of the head and straighten the sides of the slot. It was an amazing piece of work, must have been done under a microscope. Not cheap, In think it was around 50.00 or so, but way less than having a new screw made, fitted, and timed.

Craig Libhart

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Terry Lubzinski
If the damage consists of metal from the screw slot being lifted up
etc. it is surprising how much it can be improved by removing the screw,putting it in a vice, and working carefully with a small flat faced punch and hammer to move the metal back into the slot.
Touching up the slot with a screw slot file and a little aging
will make a big difference. Maybe not perfect, but a lot easier on the eyes if you don't want to go the weld/engrave route.

There are good ideas in just about every post but IMO the above is the best/least expensive idea if the metal has just been displaced. It's amazing to see the improvement that can be made by working carefully with a small hammer,punch and file. If that doesn't work to someones satisfaction then one of the other alternatives can be considered.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about if you filled the slot with a thin piece of steel or a screwdriver blade and then tapped the burr with a hammer and a punch?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.