Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

The chart can't be effective, it forgot the Gordon Setter!

Consider him if you want a dog that can hunt upland and is not afraid of the water.

(A springer can do that too, but I am getting too old to keep up with a Springer. I had them for 20 years)

Hunting with a Gordon is a Gentler way to hunt.

I can't imagine going from a Brit to a Springer unless you have found the Fountain of Youth.

Jerry

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Randy,
Love my Lab. A pointing one would be interesting, but here in the southwest, Labs are just out of their element, with regard to temperatures so much of the time. I've come to the conclusion that for my quail and chukar hunting grounds in the southwest, an english pointer is what I want. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

Harris,
I tried to figure out how to post a larger picture of that chart, but flopped. Maybe Mike can tell me since his pictures were pretty big.

As for your choice of a springer, I have no experience hunting in your part of the country and virtually none hunting the grouse of that region. They do seem very popular with the pheasant hunters of the midwest. I've also come to the conclusion that if I have a decent hunting dog that has good drive and reasonable handling, I'm happy. I hope that the dog I end up with is good around the house, since it'll be around the house a lot more than in the field.

Bill,
I've taken George's class twice and read a stack of books. I've learned enough to know I'm no trainer. But, I am good enough to teach one some bad habits. Just ask my wife. laugh

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gerald, they also forgot the Spinone and the versatile Wire Haired Pointing Griffon.
(And several others if one has to be fair).

I have seen the Spinone described as a calm dog that hunts for its owner whereas English Pointers
tend to hunt for themselves and so are inclined to be "over energetic" to say it mildly.
When one is getting long in the tooth as I am I'd rather have a "slower" dog. JMTC.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the Chesapeake but the dog finder fails to mention a slight degree of insanity, on behalf of the owner, leading to the choice. Lagopus.....

JAB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My current springer is now 8 and well trained. I've had springers most of my life beginning with a Christmas gift in 1944. Now at age 73 I'm training a 5 month old English cocker that hopefully will hunt at a pace with which I can comfortably keep up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Randy, I tried to figure out how to post a larger picture of that chart, but flopped. Maybe Mike can tell me since his pictures were pretty big.

The maximum size of picture allowed to be posted here is inversely proportional to the poster's ego.

Actually Chuck we both posted the largest (widest) allowed I believe.

I think the EPs will work out great for you. My friend Craig has an 11 year old female EP named Jill. She is as graceful as a Gazelle. She will run out 3/4 mile, find birds, lock up and hold point for 15 minutes while we hike our old tired butts over to her. Just this last season Craig started running her with a GPS collar and it sure did lower the tension and stress levels. Even at 11 she has excellent stamina and heat resistance.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 04/27/11 12:18 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll sure "second " Mike's recommendation for a GPS collar. Not infrequently we'll have a dog of his locked up no more than 50 yards away in high brush and unseen. Five minutes later it may have found a covey over the next hill and "lost" without the GPS. Just be sure to put them on tight enough not to come off--they're expensive.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, Joe,
Can you recommend a GPS collar? My actual ownership experience is only with two brands: Tritronics and DT Systems, both of which I found to be excellent quality.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Garmin Astro Dog is what I am using and what Craig got. They are about $500 for a one dog set up and you can add dogs for about $200/each. The handheld can track several dogs at once.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

JAB,

I have been hearing great things about the english cocker's from my old field trial friends. Cocker trials have had a bit of a resurgence in the last few years. I have not ever hunted over them but I am told it is great fun. Let us know how it goes for you.

Bill G.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.