May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Chad Linder, Jtplumb, Perry M. Kissam, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 957 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,544
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#226219 04/20/11 09:31 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So I really know very little of Alexander Henry, I did some searching here and generally on the web. I do know he did not make a lot of guns, and the vast majority of those are rifles. Wondering what everyone thinks of this gun and I would appreciate hearing some general opinions on a value range given the few pictures and lack of detailed info.

30" damascus, shows pretty well
chokes are .016 and .009
Min BWT is .022
LOp 13 3/4"
DAC 1 5/8"
DAH 2 3/8"
chambers are 2.5"
British proofs for 1 1/8 loads

I don't have bore measurements but suspect they have been honed some.

It obviously one of matched pair with a number 2 on barrels and lever, in a oak and leather t/d case with an A Henry trade label and clearly new felt.

Any ideas why the right lock plate seems to have a small gap at the top where it meets the frame????? and on blowing up a higher quality version of the pic, I can see the pin just below it does not seem to fit properly in the hole in the plate??? I don't really see how this plate could "just" be tweaked... is this sign of serious internal damage? it has some sort of replacement butt plate on it but would probably be easily replaced with a leather covered pad. There are also two filled holes on the top rib, any idea what they might have been for?

anyways, thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by ASavageFox; 04/20/11 09:49 AM. Reason: added close up pic

Andrew
Sidelock
Sidelock

A very nice Victorian English made shotgun. One of a pair, there should be another to match it. If the case will not take two guns then it is almost certainly a replacement. possibly doctored up with an original label. As you say the case has been relined and probably quite recently.

Have a knowledgeable gunsmith sheck out the barrels and anything else that may worry you. It should be fit to shoot if you stick to Black Powder Loads only. That will almost certainly mean handloading, but if I owned it, I wouldn't mind that chore. Any range you go to in the USA you will very likely be the only person present with an Alexander Henry shotgun.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thanks for the info Harry. It actually has 1 1/8 Nitro proofs so I figured if i shooting 2.5" 7/8 ounce lit loads would be no issue.

The case is for one gun and the case itself appears quite old as its well worn with the exception of the liner. Also includes a small oil can and two piece rose wood cleaning rod. I agree its not likely to be original but likely quite old.

I understand that someone owns the records but is unwilling to provide original purchaser information... that's too bad.

I still have some concern for the right side plate issue and would appreciate any info.

Andrew
Sidelock
Sidelock

The right lockplate is altered. I can only guess why. Note the engraving in the suspect spot does not quite match the same area on the left lockplate. Almost looks like some welding and engraving was done, but not quite right. Thus the large pin hole you wondered about. It certainly did not leave the Henry factory in that condition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

what a beautiful shotgun

the pics also show the right lock plate looks a little proud of the wood and the screw below flush ... something going on
there

IF i was fortunate enough to own that gun i would have a
qualified gunsmith determine what it needs to make it right. might not take much.

Your shotgun is indeed something magnificent ... if you ever want to sell it too cheap write me first. big grin

Enjoy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks to me that the lock was out for cleaning and was dropped on a hard (concrete) floor and was compressed in that specific area.
Does your eye show compression of the engraving?
Also appears the rear screw is indexed 180 out

BUT what a fine piece, neat !!!!!!!!

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 04/20/11 02:07 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks not unlike a Webley and Rodgers patent action and may have started life at Webley & Scott before being finished at Henry's. Except for the engraving I have a Charles Lancaster with a similar history. Lagopus.....

LD1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew,

That is a beautiful example of Alexander Henry's work. The factory records are available from Dickson and Son in Scotland. Here is the website:
http://www.john-dickson.com/home/welcome.aspx

They will provide the information that you request for a fee of about 15 pounds. I find it best to call them. They are very nice people to talk to and very helpful. I believe that the right lockplate was dinged somehow. There is a fine engraver named Bruce Bradshaw in Quebec, Canada who could fix your lockplate up right. He was an engraver for Rigby in England and he provides top work at a good price and most of all he does the work promptly. Here is his website:

http://www.bradshawgunengraver.com/index.html
Cheers,
Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, very pretty, looks like some sort of repair. Actually it could be tig welded again and re-engraved properly. It can be done. Shouldn't be "that" expensive either...I've done a few and had the engraving re-done nicely.

T

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My biggest concern lies with the pin and how it no longer resides in its appropriate location... this seems to make me believe there could be serious functional issues??
I am not sure why the top would have been filed down and re-engraved (or possibly ding, though its a good sized ding if so)...seems a large effort and would have taken not much more to just build the location back up. If things work out with this purchase, that is what I will do. The pin deal is some what disconcerting though. I do NOT believe that a smiths inspection is going to be allowed in this deal either.

I would agree the rear side plate screw is 180 out and my hope is that will bring the proud lock plates back to flush. I wonder if it is left out for reasons associated with the issues on the right plate? In one of the pics that shows the entire right side of the gun, it appears the plate is pulled in too far??

Thanks to all, I will contact Dickson and Sons also to see what the story is with this gun...

Andrew
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.