May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (KY Jon, ClapperZapper, PALUNC, cpa, 2 invisible), 252 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,558
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think you are being a little too detailed for other than a Competitive shooter.
Competition shooters always fiddle with their guns.
For upland shooting with all the options you have listed, you will chase your tail.
Find a fitter and have him determine your measurements with a 'Try Gun'. The rest is simple.-Dick

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those who haven't noticed, skeet is a special case. Do enuf reps on the same machines on the same field and you've got Nixon's bowling alley. There are guys who can break every bird on an American skeet field from the hip. No, not for 100X100 but with fair regularity. The visual and auditory cues are reinforced to the point where a fair skeet shooter can literally change the attitude of the gun and relationship with the hands and eyes and still make the moves to break targets. I haven't seen anyone attempt this afield with a live bird altho no doubt some kills have been accomplished without the butt hitting the shoulder.

Some folks believe the rote foot position, pre-mount, high comb and bullet head of skeet is not preparation for anything but skeet. The game may have been invented to simulate the experience of bird-hunting but it isn't bird hunting. I resist the idea that skeet has any importance whatsoever when shot with an actual "skeet gun".

jack

RCC Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had the stock of every gun I own bent. I shoot them all as I get them, from sixteen yards and have the stocks bent to move the pattern to center and 60 percent above point of impact.

While each gun has had cast off bent into the stocks and some a change of drop at the heel, only three of all the guns in my safe are cast off the same and have the same drop. Yet nearly all of them have the same LOP. Some have the same cast off and different drop as others, some less and some more, leading me to believe a change in drop will affect cast off more than any other stock measurement.

All are either straight grip stocks or Prince of Wales.

bc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gun fit using only stock dimentions is going down a rather slipery slope. I could build you two stocks with the same dimentions with one fitting perfectly showing a minimum amount of recoil and the other rather ill fitting and being painful to shoot. The width of the comb, grip, straight vs pistol, and location of the pistol grip making a very large difference. A thick comb like so many of todays target guns calls for more cast, especially for those of us whose eyes are closer together. Placement of the pistol grip translates into keeping the thumb away from the nose during recoil. Size of the grip is designed to fit the persons hand and provide a comfortable and repeatable grip.

The bottom line, gun fit is much more than a set of numbers from a session with a try gun. Unless you have a fair amount of experience I would highly recommend getting some help from someone who has done a great deal of fitting. It will be the best money you ever spent.

And I would suggest not betting against an AA class skeet shooter in the bird fields. While skeet is a very regimented game with known birds and angles, it is indeed a great way to improve ones field shooting. It will take an experienced skeet shooter much less time to be effective game hunting than the fellow who is limited to field hunting only with todays bird populations and regulations. Don Hansen.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.