April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 187 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,441
Posts544,760
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#225797 04/15/11 10:40 PM
FelixD Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I need to slick up the heal of a Decelerator pad. The rubber clings to my shooting jacket or vest. Does anyone have a home remedy along the lines of SLICK EEZ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shellac, ArmorAll, buffed Vaseline, any good vinyl/rubber dressing from an auto parts store. If your Decelerator has the "leather" finish, sand it smooth, and/or round off the heel.

FelixD Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the tip.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pachmyr also makes a Sporting clay style of decelorator pad in Old English style that has a hard plastic material on the heel of the pad that is specifically designed for not catching on your clothes when moutning the gun.
If slicking up for current pad does not work, might want to look into putting one of those on.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just wrap the sides of the pad in electrical tape. A tip from Bob Brister's book. It works.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's heel, not heal. But, one of the purposes of a rubber pad is to prevent slipping on a shirt, vest, or jacket. Another thing Brister said was that he had rubber recoil pads on nearly all his guns just to keep them from slipping when he mounted it properly, even if it needed no recoil reduction (which many rubber recoil pads don't do anyway). A proper gun mount will not snag on your shirt/coat. It is a mount that pushes the gun slightly away from you as it is raised, then pulls it into the shoulder pocket at the proper place.

Personally, I wouldn't have a recoil pad that allowed the gun to slip on my clothing. I love them and have them on most of my guns, originality be damned. I have even glued a strip of emery cloth on the butt of competition guns to keep them from moving around on my shoulder.

IMO, the only reason to buff a new recoil pad with Vaseline is to "age" it, and get it away from that new look. And, that is a valid reason, but I don't want the face of the pad to be slick.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

As Stan says, the butt of the gun is supposed to cling to the vest or shirt. It is not supposed to slip. The mount of the gun is supposed to bring the gun into the vest, not to slide along the vest into the "pocket". Sorry, that's just the way it is. Thanks, Stan.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I leather cover mine and it seems to help a bunch. With my method I can do it for $75 all day. I do not use plugs or do any embossing. I do use goat skin and my first one lasted 25000 shots before I changed it and the cover was in good shape.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Felix, I know what you want/asking. Put a plastic baggy over your hand and with some contact cement - that instant glue - squirt a little on the plastic bag over your finger and rub it on the heel of the recoil pad. Sometimes dollar stores sell it in the three pack. For you guys with the perfect gun mount that don't need help, sometimes the rest of us rush a mount from low gun and the heel catches the shirt or coat and a smooth heel helps. There is still the rest of the pad to help keep the gun in place. Brownells sells a number of pads made with a slick heel so it won't catch on mounting. Just what us guys with a sh!!!y gun mount need. Hope this helps Felix. Good luck - Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just because a shooter's pad doesn't catch on his shirt doesn't mean he has a "perfect gunmount". But........... good idea. Make allowances for mistakes in the mount instead of working on correcting it. Wonder how our fathers and grandfathers managed to use recoil pad mounted guns without instant glue smeared on the heel.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 03/14/18 05:01 PM. Reason: punctuation

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.