Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#223333 03/26/11 09:54 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My hunting partner is considering the purchase of a Browning Superposed, with the intent to have Briley add thin-wall choke tubes. I seem to remember a discussion on this topic that indicated many/most Superposed's have barrel walls too thin to facilitate after-market choke tubes.

Anyone have knowledge on this topic?

Has anyone here successfully added choke tubes to a Superposed?

Thanks in advance for any responses....

gold40

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Browning Superposed Broadway trap gun with Briley thin wall tubes, works just fine.
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Remember that very often installing choke tubes can be considered to be devaluing a gun.It is subjective, if it is your gun you do what YOU want not what others think.
Frankly the makers normally get it right, they fit certain chokes for a reason. Many of us use choke as an excuse for poor shooting. Leave the gun original and shoot it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have 60s Lightning 12 which was given the treatment (NOT BY ME oh Heaven forbid I should be so gauche!!). I have not had trouble getting them in or out. Gun used only for skeet and occasionally sporting clays. I operate under the illusion that the 5 screw-ins give the gun a bit more utility.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend has a D3 12 gauge Superposed, which apparently was built for the European market. Briley would not attempt Thinwalls in it. The gun is the most lively 12 bore Super I've ever handled. Does anyone know if the barrels on European market guns are thinner than those destined for the colonies?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi I have a Superposed P3 that had Briely thin walls and a miller trigger installed by a previous owner. Although I probably would not make the alteration myself I also think it does give some additional flexability. Ofcourse with proper loading and testing of loads you could do the same thing (if you have the time). Heaven forbid mine is even a 2 barrel set 28" and 32" and both have been altered.
Jeff G

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi I have a Superposed P3 that had Briely thin walls and a miller trigger installed by a previous owner. Although I probably would not make the alteration myself I also think it does give some additional flexability. Ofcourse with proper loading and testing of loads you could do the same thing (if you have the time). Heaven forbid mine is even a 2 barrel set 28" and 32" and both have been altered.
Jeff G

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My hunting partner that is mentioned in the first post already has an abundance of quality shotguns for hunting and clay games. If he buys this Superposed, it will be used mostly for non-competitive Sporting Clays -- hence the choke tube query.

Like me, he is a "GUNWHORE" that enjoys shooting different guns from time to time. Unlike me, he tends to keep each one, while I frequently trade or sell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry:
For someone with a number of guns anyway, it would be VERY ill-advised to install choke tubes in an original Superposed. As mentioned above, choke does not a good shot make.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Right now, the Superposed is a good bit undervalued in the market.

Guys, the reason so many tightly choked older field guns are in such good condition is because they are fairly useless for the currently popular shotgun games with modern ammunition.

They just shoot too tight for anyone but an exceptional shooter. The old 'learn to shoot' admonition is pretty lame. Nobody should persue a sport using inferior equipment in the hopes of it making him rise to a higher performance level. They sure as hell don't do that in golf or bowling or darts or anything else. Lack of success drives people away from anything, except perhaps gambling because that's the only real possible outcome. I can't speak for fishing.

80% of Sporting Clays (including 5 stand) shooting is done with fairly open choking. Personally, I use skeet or IC. You will be amazed how far away 10 points of choke will break an incoming target when using hard shot. I could live with 10 points of choke in everything except my trap gun.

If you enjoy shooting longer range sporting, and have the facilites available, by all means do so. It's just not that appealing to the majority and the courses that set targets where most shots are inside 35 yards DO MORE BUSINESS.

The Superposed with Briley thin walls is seen from time to time. It's a good choice. Modify it however you want, and shoot it.

These things are just tools.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.