March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, steve voss), 805 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#221637 03/14/11 05:41 PM
Gnomon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am trying to ship a broken-down SxS to myself at the place I'm going hunting. I was under the impression that we could ship our own guns to ourselves. UPS will only take a gun if either shipper or receiver is a FFL and they are now checking.

Neither USPS or UPS website has any info on shipping guns and their customer service will not give any info at all - UPS told me to call BATF and USPS gives me the run-around with voice mail that never gets answered.

Local PO is now closed

Anybody ship a gun recently by either USPS or UPS?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

USPS - Shotguns out of state and in state to FFLs but not to myself.

Several years ago I printed pages out of the USPS regulations and took them and a rather expensive long gun to the Amarillo Daddy Rabbit Postman and after two round trips on two different days was able to ship the gun to Kirk Merrington here in Texas.

After that incident they think I know what I am talking about and do what I ask them to do and it has been no trouble. Google up "United States Postal Service Regulations." There is a lot of difference between mailing a long gun and a handgun by the way.

I bet somebody over on Shotgunworld has detailed instructions on how to ship a gun to one's self via USPS. It seems like that is where I got the link to the USPS regulations now that I think about it.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 03/14/11 06:25 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shipped one of my guns from my residence in Hawaii to myself at my residence in Missouri a couple of weeks ago. I shipped it USPS insured priority with signature required for delivery. Cost me around $25 as I remember. I shipped it the day before I left and it was in Missouri three days later. Everything went great except that the postman left it sitting on my porch....just like UPS had done a few weeks before on one of my more expensive CC&R shotgun purchases.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I figure it best to use their own system to your favor. With that in mind I've found that if I use the longer triangle tubes that you can get off of their website, you can fit the barrels into one, securely packaged in bubble wrap. and the butt end and forearm in the other, packaged in bubble wrap as well. Ship them express or priority and insure each for the total value. As an aside I never use Priority as it is just an overpriced regular mail service and tracking on it is just delivery confirmation. Express is much much more reliable and can be tracked through its progress. Be sure to insure!!! They don't lose packages that could cost them a couple grand...

good luck.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Genelang

The right answer is found on this link. You may indeed, ship it addressed to yourself, in care of someone in another state.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

UPS is not letting a person, non ffl to ship a firearm to or from themselves. You can ship to a dealer to sell or repair, and he can ship back to you, If a repair. But not non ffl to non ffl. Does not matter if its back and forth to you.

Regards

John Boyd
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

From the ATF site

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

"Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

I would go with USPS.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Gnomon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

John Boyd is right and that is what I was told by the clerk at the local UPS depot. USPS people don't know from squat and the locals are new and simply are uninterested in figuring out the regs.

I decided that even if I managed to get my gun shipped it wasn't worth the confusion and possible animosity so I'm shipping it to me in Georgia from my FFL. Then I will ship it back to him and pick it up.

With the amount of confusion I discovered at UPS and USPS I just don't want to risk my sweet AyA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.