April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Hoot4570, barrel browner, j7l2, Jtplumb, battle, 2 invisible), 441 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I do extensive pattern testing with all my shotguns and "generally" factory choke designations, bore measurement at the muzzle and patterns are consistent except for two 20 ga's. One a Red Label purchased from the factory, designated Skt/Skt; measures at the muzzle Skt II/Modified (don't know true bore dia.)shoots with multiple "standard" 7/8oz loads true Cyl. and Full. With extensive testing I have been able to come up with barrel specific loads to give me Imp./Mod. patterns. The second gun, an SKB, came with factory designated Mod./Full chokes. Without pattern testing the barrels were sent off to a "noted" barrel smith to be opened to Imp./Mod. Chokes were honed to desired constriction based upon bore dia. Chokes at the muzzle still measure exactly Mod./Full, which means the bores are both appx. .010" undersize. Pattern testing again with multiple standard loads resulted in Cyl./Full patterns. Coincidentally or not, the same barrel specific loads developed for the Red Label worked in the SKB to give me Imp./Mod. patterns. But why don't the choke measurements and patterns (extreme both ways) match?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you measuring the chokes and bores with a bore gauge?

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand that Kreighoff has a FIR of .003 and have seen .010 in Remington bores from gun to gun. That can have a major effect on chokes, now add in varation in machineing chokes. A plus .003 bore and a minus .003 choke adds up to a full change of one constriction size in a 20 gauge.

bill

SIXSKB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Measuring with micrometer. I understand the relationship of bore-choke size. But if the chokes are constricted to the proper dimension relative to bore size why the wide discrepancies in pattern, one loose, one tight, relative to what they should produce with pretty much all "standard" loads?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Appears you are only measuring the chokes at the muzzle.

Don't assume anything about the bore size.

Measure it. Mystery likely solved.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Shotgun.

Best,

mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

We had a lot of trouble getting Briley and Kolar skeet tubes to throw good patterns. Turns out they both have trouble with good forceing cone polish. Putting the 410 tubes in a lathe and polishing the forceing cones with 600, 1200, 2000 grit and then buffing with crome rouge. With .003 chokes my 410 added 24 bb's to a 30 inch circle at 20 yards. Similar improvements were found on 28 and 20. The SS or ti chambers are very hard to polish.
You may want to check your forceing cones.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SIXSKB
Measuring with micrometer. I understand the relationship of bore-choke size. But if the chokes are constricted to the proper dimension relative to bore size why the wide discrepancies in pattern, one loose, one tight, relative to what they should produce with pretty much all "standard" loads?

How many patterns per set of parameters are you shooting? What method of analysis are you using? Do you have a copy of Dr. Andrew Jones' recent book on patterning? I suspect you are shooting too few patterns and that your analysis is insufficient. Shotgun patterns are way variable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're just counting holes in a 30" circle at 40 yards, they should not vary a whole lot from shot to shot with the same ammo--assuming you're drawing the circle AFTER the shot, just in case you're a bit off target.

Something I always do is cut open a shell or two and do a pellet count rather than assuming, for example, that a shell which is supposed to contain an ounce of 7 1/2's has a pellet count pretty close to 350, which is what it should have. In extreme cases, I've found that pellet count can be off from standard by as much as 10% plus or minus, which of course will impact your % when you count holes in paper, if you don't first count pellets in the load.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.