April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (PALUNC, SKB, Marks_21), 433 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JayCee
This can turn coprolalic any minute now.

JC

Ah yes, the heartbreak of coprolalia...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I temporarily contracted the coprolalic syndrome last week when I slammed my finger in a car door. Fortunately, no one was around to witness the symptoms of the disorder!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

For percussion revolver with 3F, I punched overpowder wads out of 1/8" thick felt, mixed up a combo of beeswax, neatsfoot oil (the substitute for lard or tallow) and parafine (our jelly jar sealant, not the Brit gasoline) in a double boiler which can be a coffee can or Mason jar in a pot of water), dipped the wads one at a time with big tweezers, and placed on wax paper. I have these in Ruger Old Army ".44 cal." (which is actually .457") and .36 cal (which is of course closer to .38" while modern .38 cal. is closer to .36" GO FIGURE??) They seal the powder against cross-firing between cylinders and both remove and soften fouling. They take up some useful space in a bp revolver cylinder but I don't think that's much of an issue in a shotshell even with relatively voluminous bp. Anyway, as Pete says, you need a lube of organic origin around bp; I'm not even sure the parafine qualifies as such unless you think all those palm trees, ferns, and ancient asparagus that were compressed and baked into crude oil allow that interpretation.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife is always telling me I need to seek professional help. WTF is up with that crap?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: postoak
Once upon a time, I was in the middle of resizing and lubing some .45 cast bullets and I ran out of Rooster Red Wax; however I had on hand a couple of wax rings that use to seat a toilet.

Did your loads have a crappie smell ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
.36 cal (which is of course closer to .38" while modern .38 cal. is closer to .36" GO FIGURE??)

A lot of confusion exists in the naming of calibers, but this one is really no more so than a lot of others. The calibers of ML'ing rifles, pistol, & cap-n-ball revolvers were all named according to their bore sizes. .36 cal revolvers thus had bores in their bbls of .36". The barrels were rifled with groove dias of about .375" so the chambers were bored for this size ball, the .36 cal cap-n-ball actually firing a .375/.376" ball. The first cartridge guns were actually conversions of these & a heel bullet was laoded with both case & ball having a diameter of about .375 but for some cause they elected to name it according to bullet dia & simply rounded to two places & called it a .38 cal. Eventually the bullet size as well as the bores were dropped to use a .357" bullet which would put the grease grooves inside the case, but the .38 designation was not changed until introduction of the .357 Magnum. all makes "Perfect" sense.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

gjw, yea use a grease gun. First measure the correct thread diameter for your left ear so the zert will fit properly. Just use enough grease to fill any voids which will be indicated when your shorts start to get slick. Let us know how much your velocity increases.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
gjw, yea use a grease gun. First measure the correct thread diameter for your left ear so the zert will fit properly. Just use enough grease to fill any voids which will be indicated when your shorts start to get slick. Let us know how much your velocity increases.

Lighten up, this was a joke thread!!!!

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

What? You didn't think my response was funny? Where is your sense of humor?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Circle Fly has lots of components to experiment with...

When I used to use a lubed wad in shotshells, I got away from lubing the bottom wad. I found that a 12g lubed felt wad between a pair of 3/8" fiber wads worked best. A buddy of made me a felt wad cutter out of a length of steel pipe that I could just punch out of some thick wool. (got it at Track of the Wolf many years ago)

I also "discovered" that I could make a cup out of paper plates and fold it around to act like a modern wad-cup. Groups were significantly improved, but, the time and patience required for this offset the fun factor in owning an old SxS. frown

The only lube recipe I found that worked across a wide range of applications was from the BPCR mailing list.

- 1 ring bol-wax
- 1 cup murphy's oil-soap
- 1 "block" of canning wax
- 1 stick of Crisco (the kind that come in the 3 pack)

I pan lube bullets for my 56-50 Spencer and 45-90 Winchester/1886 with this as well.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.