April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, Argo44, 2 invisible), 768 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,838
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Tinker, BrentD and halfadouble.
To answer some questions, it shoots OK, considering the barrel has some pitting. I only shoot cast in it. Lyman 311291 and Lyman 311299 were the molds that shot best. Five shot groups run around 2-3" at 100, off a bench. I can easily break small balloons offhand at 100. I initially had problems with uncalled fliers. I had already glassed the rear of the magazine box, as it acts like a recoil lug, while I was doing the stock work. I figured the barrel band might be the flier problem, so I glassed the forend under the band so that the barrel, band and stock were all fit snugly together. The uncalled fliers disappeared.
I do have a picture of cutting the stock for the chunk of walnut I used for the grip. You're going to laugh. I don't have a mill, so I set up my drill press to do the job. Crude set up, but it gave me the smooth, flat horizontal surface I needed. I hand chiseled the two vertical cuts with a left to right draft so I could tap the block in and have a tight joint. I sketched in the checkering pattern to make sure the joint would be deep enough to be completely under the checkering. I had to make the cut much longer than I would have if doing the job from scratch. The previous sporterizing included an added pistol grip, made of a piece of 2x4, and set so far back a shooter would have to have hands like an Orangutan to get any benefit from the grip. I also included a picture of the gun before I started in on it to show that. If I was adding a grip to an unaltered stock, I would have made the joints right at the back of the trigger guard and right at the rear of where the grip cap would be, to make them less noticable. On this stock I had to make the rear joint about an inch behind the grip cap in order to remove all of the 2x4. That's out there where it is easy to see. I had to add some slivers of wood, taken from the barrel channel, to help hide the straight lines of that joint. A little bit of red mahogany stain and checkering hid everything else pretty well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh looky here

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=319872

A mind is a terrible thing to waste! Completely forgot about that post when I bought the rifle.....it's been a while! grin

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Nelson

A mind is a terrible thing to waste!

We're all here together, Ken.
We're here to help...

crazy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg you are very welcome!

I like your setup.
I also like your sneaky use of slivers of material from the barrel channel for camouflage of the joinery.

Good!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, you are master of the drill press! I use mine as my metal lathe. You are in another league using it as a mill. smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

My sporter. I know nothing about its history, but I like it.

I have not gotten it to shoot particularly well. That is probably my fault as the barrel looks perfect.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent that rifle is looking good.
The aperture sight looks shop made, pretty cool detail.

Describe the shooting performance. Maybe we can put our heads together and help you get it running right on the targets.

Have you slugged the bore?
What loads have you tried?
Which bullets?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg, I have a 30-40 light barreled sporter on a Winchester highwall action with a one piece stock by Farr. It was out of the Benenson collection. I tried all the 30 caliber moulds and found that it preferred 311284 over 20 grains of H4198 to the tune of .8 inch groups at 100 with a tang sight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Halfa-

With your twenty grains are you using dacron or anything over the powder, or just the powder.
What primer?
Do you know the velocity that you are getting?

Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.