May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (KDGJ, doublenut, 1 invisible), 254 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,565
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: chopperlump
I think all of the Colt doubles were made in England. Chops

Hello Chopperlumpm

Are you possibly getting confused here with the Sharps Rifle Co, in Bridgeport Connecticut?

They had all their shotguns made by Philip Webley & Co. Ltd. England. They were marked up as being made by the Sharps Company but in those days most the larger English gunmakers would do any form of work and engraving to the requirements of the customer.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Colt SxS's are fine guns. A price of $2.5k of a Grade 2 does seem too high unless it was in very high condition. For any collector gun in high condition the advice and guidance of experts is advisable.

I collect Parkers and LC Smiths and very often seek the advice of more knowledgable collectors of each. The Parker Gun Collectors Assocition at ParkerGun.org is where the Parker guys live. The LC Smith Collectors Association at LCSmith.org is the place for Smith knowledge. The Colt association is at www.ColtCollectors.com Unfortunately, there is not much information there on the fine Colt shotguns. Try the Parker or Smith sites and somethere will probably also be a Colt shotgun collector.

Once again, $2500 may be too high for a Grade 2. I missed one last year for $1000. Now that was a great deal!!!

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Midway USA - Larry Potterfield

I don't agree with the value they place on this gun. I paid much less for my grade 3.

What is interesting is that they briefly show a lifter version. Not sure I remember seeing one before.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can shoot 12 gauge Winchester AA Featherlites through it using 10-12 GaugeMates (assuming the barrels are in good condition, make certain a smith knowledgeable about doubles checks it out first).
Steve
PS I agree with the drop at heal remark. I really liked my 10 gauge 1878 Colt but sold it because I was tired of having to mentally compensate for the DOH whenever I shot it (alot of DOH can make you shoot under your target).

Last edited by Rockdoc; 01/24/11 01:55 PM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one. I load low pressure (6500 PSI)smokeless 10 gauge for it using PB powder and 1 1/4 oz shot. Black powder is such a friggen mess. Look carefully at the wrist section for cracks. I paid a negotiated $750 for mine and it is a twist barrel with some case hardening showing in protected areas. From what I have read, Colt had the barrels imported but built the rest of the gun state-side. The 1878 shows up common on auction sites and sometimes part guns are avaiable also. I don't know if any of the TNT repro guns have parts that interchange. I have shot trap with mine and its a crowd pleaser but I struggle to hit 17 with it and I can shoot about 23/24 with my model 12.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
Originally Posted By: chopperlump
I think all of the Colt doubles were made in England. Chops

Hello Chopperlumpm

Are you possibly getting confused here with the Sharps Rifle Co, in Bridgeport Connecticut?

They had all their shotguns made by Philip Webley & Co. Ltd. England. They were marked up as being made by the Sharps Company but in those days most the larger English gunmakers would do any form of work and engraving to the requirements of the customer.

The Colt 1878s were made in England. The Model 1883s however was produced right here by Colt. I have verified this fact with the Colt historian.
Jim

Harry

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks again for the replies. Looks as though I have more homework to do before diving into this purchase. I think I'm going to have to try and have a qualified individual look at the gun before I make an offer (too bad its halfway across the country from me lol). The asking price was actually higher, I was making an assumption I could negotiate down to $2500

Life is too short for cheap guns, cheap women and cheap whiskey.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would be interested in seeing any European proofmarks on either Colt 1878 or 1883 Models. Sometimes these " English Made" stories get started and then repeated and repeated again. I have not seen any proof that either model was not produced in the U.S. Of course, the barrels were imported.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've only seen a couple over the years and those were allegedly made in Engand. The very fine workmanship and engraving seems enough to ponder the question. If I'm wrong, lads, sorry about that. Best regards. Chops

Sidelock
Sidelock

I could swear I read someplace reputable that the 1883s were built in England ... that Colt's son wanted to market a really fine double, couldn't justify tooling up for it in Hartford and so decided to get the ball rolling with a nice Birmingham-made boxlock. I assumed that the same would be true of the 1878, but must admit, I haven't been able to find the source for any of this in my own library. Maybe it's just a fairy tale. To make matters worse, I once owned an '83 but can't remember anything about proof marks. What some here have suggested -- that it would have Brit proof marks on the water table -- certainly seems logical.

Ceruzzi: When we talk about a qualified gunsmith, most of us would agree there's only a relative handful who know enough about old doubles to matter. Like most of us, you'll be shipping the gun, rather than driving it over. I'm frankly pleased to hear you say you should give this gun more thought. Not that it might not be a great gun, but picking a 10-bore hammergun with lots of drop as your first pheasant gun is not ideal ... a bit like learning to swim with an anvil on your back. Tons of really solid expertise here and some great guys willing to share what they know. The money you're willing to spend can get you into a really nice gun that will be collectible and very huntable, so take your time and keep asking questions.

TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.