Print Thread
#213646 01/17/11 07:52 PM
Bblnut Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi guys!

I have a question.

I pulled the stock off an old Citori that has seen hard use.

I pulled the stock so I could clean the triggers and action.

It was filthy! Shot almost a whole can of gun scrubber to finally get the innerds clean.

I also removed the firing pins and cleaned their bores. they too were really dirty. I lightly relubed everything with Break Free CLP.

I have everything back together, and the gun will fire hulls with just primers seated in them. Ejectors work fine.

My question is this:

I want to let the hammers down on the pins, and check the pins protrusion off the breach face.
I dont know how to do this.
I have read that some guys will store their guns with springs relaxed.

How do I do this, without removing the butt stock, and will I have trouble recocking the gun?

Thanks in advance.

Gooser

Gooser
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Brownings have coil springs and proper heat treatment of all parts, so you can just snap the gun with no problem. If you don't want to do that, get a piece of hardwood that you can hold against the breech face to cushion the firing pins when you snap it. You won't have any problems putting the gun back together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you have snap caps, put them in the gun with the barrels and forend in place. Pull the trigger to fire the first barrel, hit the recoil pad on a hard surface to reset the second barrel, pull the trigger again. Both springs are now extended.
Remove the forend and then open the gun, making sure that the barrels do not rotate too far as the forend no longer stops the barrels - or resets the hammer springs. Dump the two snap caps on a table, close the gun and put the forend on the gun. The gun is now ready for storage. When you open the gun the next time, the hammers will reset.
I do not drop a hammer on an empty gun as it will eventually damage the firing pin assembly. As Tom M notes above, you can also use a piece of hardwood or a copper penny also works if you hold it tight to the breech and trip the hammers with a reset blow in between. However, since I store my guns in a safe assembled, I prefer the snap cap approach.
Z

Bblnut Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank You guys!

Gooser

Gooser

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.