May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, Tim Wolf, Jusanothajoe, Roundsworth), 531 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,560
Posts546,323
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks, George. Now a name can be put with the prayers for his family.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

James Eunice, the young man I posted about whose life was lost while duck hunting a few weeks ago, was buried this last Saturday. A nice thing happened at his funeral. The following is an email I recieved today and I thought it might be a fitting epilogue to this thread:

"Winning Isn't Everything

I've been a football fan all of my life, and have called football games on the radio for the better part of 30 years. I know how important it is to win, especially in the Southeastern Conference, unquestionably the most dominant football conference in the universe.

This past season for the Georgia Bulldog football team wasn't one most UGA fans will want to remember. The year ended with the first losing record of head coach Mark Richt's career, and predictably, many Georgia fans were calling for the head coach to be fired.

We've all seen coaches screaming at the top of their lungs at their players, many of them cursing with every other word. And of course some of them get away with it because they win on the field more than they lose, so their fans put their hands over their eyes and ears and say that it's all ok because, hey, after all they are winning.

A devout Christian, Mark Richt has never been a screamer or a cusser. But some 'experts' even criticized him for those aspects this year, saying that 'top' coaches never bring their religion into play, that intensity and winning should be their primary focus. Basically, because he is a coach who prefers to let his actions speak louder than his words he has been a target of criticism.

I want to share a little story with you that illustrates clearly there should be much more considered than whether or not he is winning more often than he is losing that measures the worth of a coach - and a man.

Three weeks ago, James Eunice of Valdosta went duck hunting on a big lake in Lowndes County called Ocean Pond. A 17-year old senior at Valdosta High School, Eunice was a talented baseball player who had already been accepted at the University of Georgia.

But as talented he was on the baseball diamond, Eunice was more passionate about football. He was an emotional leader on the most recent edition of Valdosta's legendary Wildcat football team. And even though he wasn't a star on the gridiron, his desire made him determined to be a part of the Bulldog football team once he got to Athens.

So with that dream in his mind and burning in his heart, Eunice had written Mark Richt a letter that spelled out his plan to walk on at UGA in the fall and be a Dawg.

At some point while on the before mentioned hunt, Eunice apparently fell out of his boat and drowned. His body was recovered last Monday, and his funeral was held this past Saturday.

The Valdosta community was stunned. For a bright, young life so full of potential to be snuffed out so prematurely, lives across the board were shaken from their foundations.

For the last two years, Eunice's Wildcat football teammate, Jay Rome, has been one of the most highly recruited players in the nation. While all of the confusion and despair about Eunice was going on, Rome was one of the top players who committed to the University of Georgia. At the memorial service for his friend, Rome spoke. As part of his message, Rome read a personal letter written to the family from Mark Richt.

Mind you, this was a letter written during perhaps the busiest period of the year for big time college coaches, a time when they are crisscrossing the nation recruiting those players that will be the lifeblood of their programs for the coming years. For weeks at a time they don't see their own families while trying to convince top football players in every nook and cranny across America to come to their schools.

In the letter, the Bulldog's head coach opened up about his own heartbreak in learning of Eunice's passing, and also offered his most sincere prayers for the family. He also shared how he had been contacted by Eunice about his plans to walk on the Bulldog football squad.

Richt stated that Eunice's name had been added to the teams' roster, and thusly he had officially 'made the team.' The family was then presented an official UGA jersey emblazoned with "EUNICE" across the back, and '23' - the number Eunice wore at Valdosta.

Those gathered at the funeral for James Eunice stood, applauded, and cried.

I know if you are a head football coach at a major university you are supposedly paid to win. I understand that ultimately championships and such are your measuring stick, and that just goes with the territory.

But any human being who believes that any victory on the football field could be more important than what Mark Richt just did for the family of a young man whose life ended much too soon needs to take a long look in a mirror.

Like football, life isn't a game that should be solely measured by whether or not you lose or win. Rather, it should be measured by how you play the game and whether or not God's rules are at the center of your performance, both on and off the field.

Coach Richt, thank you for the reminder of that fact, one too many of us forget far too conveniently."

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of my sons in the Ackworth area N.W. of Atlanta, near Kennesaw for those who might be more familiar with the name of the city that requires gun ownership, counts as his friends the same Mark Richt. I have listened to many tales of his exceptional leadership of the young men to whom much of their lives is entrusted. He does indeed seem to be an exceptional person. Thanks for sharing this.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

George,

I can't thank you enough for posting this. I can only imagine what that must have meant to James' family.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Boxlock
Boxlock

George.
We have all who have been following this thread have been affected by the loss of this young mans's life for "no good reason" Now comes the question of how many of us are willing to admit that we have all made the same mistakes that unfortunate ly cost him his life. Only these types of mistakes can bring a better awareness to the hazzards of poor choices while boating that can end in a bad way. This young mans future was erased because of poor judgement, never to be taken back to try again.
God bless him in his eternal resting place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

George, As tough as it must be on the young man's family and friends, at lest now there is closure to this sad episode and they can, perhaps, begin to heal. The young man is now in the loving arms of God. Coach Richt must be a wonderful human being. It's a pity that there are not more like him.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.