April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (eeb, Argo44, graybeardtmm3, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 213 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I find that if you enter two or three search terms, the search function assumes you want all posts with any one of the terms...that doesn't work very well. Also, what's up with the rationing? Won't let you do more than two searches then it imposes a cooling off period.

I am looking for the posts relating to lacquering over fresh case colors. I remember a post that stated that Gaddy used Tru Oil....are there any alternatives? And does the Tru Oil need to be cut with anything? I applied some to a freshly colored action with a brush and it came out with pinpricks in the coating.

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oscar used Bheln's spray laquer after trying many.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

By "pinpricks" I assume you are referring to what painters would call "fisheyes." These are usually a result of the surface not being completely clean before application, and most often indicate the presence of residual silicone. You can get the silicone from some oils and preservatives, from the inside of a case or a gunsock, or from many types of wax. Clean the surface with an automotive paint prep such as Ditz-O or PreCleanO, or carbon tetrachloride (if you can get it). Be careful, and don't get these cleaners on the wood finish.

It is my understanding that Prof. Gaddy used thinned Tru Oil, but later switched to Behlen's lacquer, sprayed onto the stripped metal parts. Lacquer offers more protection and lasts longer, but Tru Oil is easier to apply and easier to refresh, and leaves a nice matte finish. If you use Tru Oil to redo your project, try rubbing it on with your fingertip. You want the finish coat to be microscopically thin, like a coat of wax.

Last edited by Replacement; 01/05/07 11:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oscar used TruOil on my gun, about 4 years ago. I'm happy.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only time I use Tru-Oil is to coat metal, and have had my best luck cutting it 1:1 or even 1:2 with simple paint thinner or mineral spirits. Seems to be too thick for such application otherwise. I apply it with a piece of clean cotton T-shirt wrapped tight over a finger-tip with good results. No runs no particles... and have even been able to recoat without stripping for the most part.

Robert

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ditto. I cut mine 50/50 with mineral spirits for all uses.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just in case you haven't been reading the other threads properly:

Posted by Oscar Gaddy (Member # 38) on November 16, 2003, 12:58 PM:

For some time, I have been using a clear-coat aerosol spray-on lacquer made and sold by Behlens. It is a true cellulose lacquer that you can spray on and have a very uiform coat without bubbles and running with just a little care in application. When you need to redo it, it can easily be removed by merely soaking the parts in acetone. I have been very pleasedd with it's performance and I use it on all Damascus barrels that I refinish and on some guns that I color caseharden if the owner wants a protective coating.

Whatever you use, I recommend that you completely strip the internal parts and degrease carefully before applying the protective coating. You will then need to lubricate the appropriate parts and places when you reassemble.

Oscar Gaddy

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
OP Offline

I think the mistake I used was to brush it on without diluting it. Anyway, I didn't like the yellow cast, and it seemed to fill up the engraving and look "varnished" so I stripped it off with lacquer thinners (I must say it comes right off) and resprayed with a clear lacquer that the mfg says will also come off with lacquer thinners. Much happier with the results!.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Next time maybe I will try the thinned tru oil applied with a pad.

For now I am happy!

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.