April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (eeb, SKB, tut, Jimmy W, Roundsworth, 1 invisible), 407 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,802
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My dad's 80ieth birthday is coming up in a year and a half, and for his birthday present, I am restocking his first bolt action deer rifle (a post 64 Model 70) in a nice French walnut stock that I got off of ebay.

I've got a steel Model 70 buttplate fitted to the stock and a steel grip cap. My next step is to put an ebony forend tip on it. But I have some questions about the order in which to do things. I want to fit a stock shield to it and also a set of Dakota sling swivels. And I also want to pillar bed the stock and I may need some acraglass in the receiver area.

My questions are the following, what is the best order to do things? I figure I need to get all the rough sanding down to the contour of the stock comes close to matching the buttplate before inletting for the sling swivels and stock shield. Is this correct? Also, should one pillar bed and add any acraglass before applying a stock finish or after?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm sure you'll get great help here, but you might try posting your question over here as well:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/9411043

Lots of very experienced folks who are as generous as the ones on this board when it comes to advice.

Great project!

Dave
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doc

Here is one my brother did for me that is probably similar to what you are doing. If you are interested P.M. me and I'll send you his contact info.

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

PhysDoc,
A question please, have you inlet and fitted the barreled action, trigger guard, and floor plate?

If you haven't you may want to start there.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Idared, PM sent, thanks and what a beautiful rifle your brother made for you.

GD Yankee, thanks, I will check out that forum.

LRF, thanks, I've got the action, trigger guard, floor plate and magazine all inletted. My next step is the ebony forend tip, and
I am practicing inletting those sling swivels onto a couple of throwaway stocks.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well then you are on the home stretch. Good luck

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
Idared, PM sent, thanks and what a beautiful rifle your brother made for you.

P.M. answered

The remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable all 'round rifle. - Seymour Griffin wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Merry Christmas to you all!

BUILDING A CUSTOM RIFLE: Order of Procedure of Major Steps
By Steven Dodd Hughes 8/00

1. Decide on purpose, usage, caliber and sights.
2. Determine approx. weight, balance and handling qualities.
3. Choose action, barrel, stock blank and overall design.
4. Full-scale drawing and complete parts list for clients approval.
5. File-up action, alter as needed.
6. Contour, install, fit and chamber barrel. Test fire, check chamber.
7. File-up all metal parts (buttplate, grip cap, sights etc.) pre-polish and prepare for inletting.
8. Layout stock blank for grainflow, stability and character.
9. Layout stock dimensions, profile stock blank.
10. Inlet and install barreled action.
11. Inlet and install buttplate, grip cap, other stock furniture.
12. Rough shape stock contours.
13. Allow stock wood time to normalize.
14. Final shape stock contours.
15. Install sights, scope.
16. Sand stock.
17. Seal all wood surfaces.
18. Live fire sight-in and function test.
19. Seal, stain and fill all wood pores.
20. Checker.
21. Complete metal polish.
22. Reassemble and function test.
23. Disassemble for engraving.
24. Complete final stock finishing.
25. Metal finishing; bluing, case colors, etc.
26. Final assembly, test fire and sight-in.
27. Tune as needed, retest.
28. Photograph.
29. Deliver.

(There are reasons for the order of each step that one will discover after diverging from them.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Hughes,

Sir,

A very full, but sadly an incomplete list. You forgot, The Bill. Even stockmakers have to eat.

Commiserations of the Season to One an All.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 12/25/10 08:43 AM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many thanks, Steve!
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.