March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jason Dubois, gunmaker, Lloyd3, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would offer the following report as evidence of what I was talking about with respect to acid rain, but since it was written by scientists, it apparently lacks any credibility:

[url=www.esf.edu/efb/mitchell/class%20readings%5Cbiosci.51.180.198.pdf]Acid Rain Study 2001[/url]

It strikes me as a very dangerous marketing strategy for Dupont to falsely contend that one of its products was damaging the ozone layer just to sell a new product. It seems a little more plausible that they knew well before the public about the link between their product and the ozone hole and began developing a replacement product in case the word got out.

Follow this conspirancy logic far enough, and you would have to conclude that tobacco companies fabricated the lung cancer scare in order to sell nicotine gum and ammo manufacturers are behind the effort to ban lead shot because they can make money on Hevi-Shot, etc. And of course Salk fabricated that whole polio thing just so he could invent the vaccine.

The rocket scientists who first hypothesized that we could escape earth's gravity had nothing to go on but calculations and predictions. If we had run them off as a bunch of self-interested academics in search of grant money, we would have a lot poorer understanding of this little blue ball - in fact we would not even know this was a little blue ball that we are sitting on.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Typical moonbat thinking from a mass liberal (ala "bwany fwank")

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/2009/10/longdisproven-h.html

"Just when you thought you finally saw the last of that silly, disproven "hockey-stick" model of global warming, it rears it's silly little head again. Two sensible
scientists discuss the background of the infamous graph that supposedly portrayed global temperature fluctuations over the last millennium as having been basically flat until the last 100 years, when "Evil Mankind" started that "Evil Industrial Revolution" thing, which has now doomed our planet. Only problem: the hockey stick was a fabrication
. And yet, these scientists have found this bit of revisionist history in a new college climatology textbook.

The infamous hockey stick has been known to be a fallacious statistical manipulation for four years. And yet, faced with actual facts, the "academic" climate change alarmists who write our textbooks prefer lies to scientific evidence. The only way to push their agenda is to obscure, confuse, and infuse a new generation of innocents with the ludicrous impression that mankind is to blame for some nonexistent trend toward unending global warming.

Following formation of our dense atmospherre (from, yes, greenhouse gases), for most of the historical global temperature fluctuation, and that ultimate barbecue-esque end of our planet, we have largely the Sun to blame.

Global warming myths:

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/2005/10/global_warming.html

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham

The rocket scientists who first hypothesized that we could escape earth's gravity had nothing to go on but calculations and predictions. If we had run them off as a bunch of self-interested academics in search of grant money, we would have a lot poorer understanding of this little blue ball - in fact we would not even know this was a little blue ball that we are sitting on.

Thank you for your example.

The rocket scientists who first developed missiles that could reach space did so at the point of a gun, it was the Nazi's who developed the V2 ballistic missile, a weapon of war. The first rocket scientists to use a missile to put a satellite in orbit were Soviet Communists led by Krushnev. Sputnik was launched into orbit to embarass the USA, to demonstrate the Soviets led the space race (an element of the cold war) and further development of Soviet ICBMS. The desire to escape gravity was fueled by greed and war ("war is politics by other means" Clausewitz). Global Warming just like rocket science is fueled by greed and politics.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually I was referring to Robert H. Goddard (1882-1945), the American who has been called the father of modern rocketry. Goddard

More to the point, just because the Nazis later used rocket science to develop V2 rockets does not invalidate Goodard'e earlier theories of rocket science. Would anyone question that Columbus was motivated in large part by "greed and politics" when he set out to prove the theory that world was round, not flat? Whatever his motiviations, he and the scientists who came up with the theory were right, notwithstanding popular opinion to the contrary at the time.

Speculating about peoples' motivations is part of the political debate - we need to resolve the climate change question through scientific, not policticial, debate. The link that JayCee posted earlier is a great example of the kind of discussion this issue needs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:

Sorry to mess with your pigeonholes, but not everyone in MA is a liberal or is a Barney Frank supporter, or appreciates being labeled as such simply based on our zip code.

EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I do not put that much stock into anything which has been accurately measured for only a very short time. If tempatures are tracked for 50 or 100 years you get a upward swing that everyone worries about but this is like looking at one thousandth second and thinking that you understand the entire day. Snap shots are a poor substitute to the complete picture of time.

You got that right. Ask any global warming fanatic and they will recite chapter and verse as to the exact temperatures that suit their template. Mention Montana in the "70s" and, assuming you meant 1970s, they draw a blank in respect to the decade when the scientific jive-jobbers had their love affair with global cooling. But correct yourself and say, "I meant the 1870s..." and they are quick to recite "data" from a time when the only thermometer in the whole territory was aboard one steamboat on the Yellowstone River, and Col.Custer had not a clue even as to how many Indians there were at the Little Big Horn, much less the high and low and mean temperatures for the day, week, month, or year. But I'll bet that today, the jive-jobbers can give you all the daily 1870s Montana temps to the third decimal point, based on their interpretations of the half-life of carbon-molecules of dandruff found on scalps scattered around old Indian camp fires.

Just remember, "Figures lie and Liars Figure," and "This too shall pass...." EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The fact is the glaciers are still melting,the amphibians are disappearing,the rain forest is being destroyed and the oceans big predator fish,sharks,tuna,etc., are at an all time low and we need to do something or the planet will be a place where our grandchildren will always wonder why we allowed these things to happen.There used to be 50,000 tigers in India and now there are around 2500 or so.Many of the songbirds are at 20-50% of their former abundance in the 60's and 70's.Too many people is the biggest problem but the idea of culling humans hasn't caught on yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doverham
Quote:

Sorry to mess with your pigeonholes, but not everyone in MA is a liberal or is a Barney Frank supporter, or appreciates being labeled as such simply based on our zip code.

Its not your zip code its your global warming views that win the title !

here is a guy with a mass zip code who get the global warming scam (not for the sensitive)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjrMDNpODOc

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Correction:There are probably less than 1200 tigers left in India.Maybe,a lot less.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Its not your zip code its your global warming views that win the title !

Lessee - a gun owner who votes Republican most of this time (and hopefully just voted Frank out of office) - I think you have the wrong guy.

Then again it was another nonliberal (a Republican senator) who said the following in the past year:

Quote:
It makes sense to me that the planet is heating up because you can measure heat. It's not a stretch to say that what goes into the air is contributing to global warming, but I don't want to be in the camp that says I know people in Northern Virginia will never see snow. At the end of the day, I think carbon pollution is worthy of being controlled, whether you believe in global warming or not. I do believe that all the CO2 gases, greenhouse gases from cars, trucks, and utility plants is not making us a healthier place, is not making our society better, and it's coming at the expense of our national security and our economic prosperity. So put me in the camp that it's worthy to clean up the air and make money doing so. This idea that carbon's good for you. I want that debate. There's a wing of our party who thinks carbon pollution is okay. I'm not in that wing.

I just think it's bad … the reason I don't hang out in traffic jams and get out and suck up the wind is I think this crap is bad for you. We've had an increase in asthma cases. If you've ever been to Thailand stuck behind 400 motorcycles, it's a lousy place to be. It doesn't take a rocket scientist in my view to understand that the stuff floating in the Gulf, if you burn it doesn't make it better for you. If you wouldn't go swimming in this stuff, why would you burn it and want to breath it?

I do believe the environmental benefit of a low carbon economy is worth the Republican party's time and attention. Does climate change have to be your religion? No, it is not my religion, it is my concern.

My "global warming views" are simply that we need more scientific debate on this issue without all the political labeling and diatribe. (The foregoing quote is a pretty good example of what happens when politics takes the place of science).

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.