May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (GETTEMANS, smlekid), 528 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.D.Steele
I too encourage you to pursue this project on this forum. I LOVE old single shots, just returned a Ballard 22RF conversion to the Green Frog and wish I could have kept it for myself. Ballards are IMO perhaps the ultimate Schuetzen action and I've always wanted to build a self-setting 4-lever trigger like Frank de Haas shows in one of his books.

What are your thoughts on tight-breeching? I've done it on walls and did it on Froggie's RF Ballard but am still undecided about the accuracy benefits if any.

Do you or any others here have any experience with tight-breeching a single shot? I've heard that Harry Pope liked to do it this way but am lacking details....
Regards, Joe

I'm getting in on this discussion late, but since my .22, in somewhat infamous "FrankenBallard" was included, I'll join in now. wink The problem with pieced-together Ballards that is not seen so much with Winchesters is parts interchange. Where you can randomly put together a 'wall from whatever parts you have at hand (original) the Ballard is a much more individually fitted rifle with parts specifications very loosely maintained and requiring final fitting. Joe had an unenviable job trying to make a barrel custom fit to one Ballard fit another receiver with a breech block from yet another Ballard! crazy He made it all work and then threw in fitting up not one but two levers so I could shoot it from the bench as well as offhand. I added a butt stock provided by Ken Hurst and am in the process of making a modern, bench-type fore end that can go either way. I am leaning toward a semi-classic Freeland's butt plate (that can be changed from flat to long tanged Swiss inserts to complete the package. I have, but don't know how to attach, a photo. confused

Froggie

PS Be careful to make it too tight breeching or it will be a pain to open and close! Mine shoots very well with that technique done, though. GF

It ain't easy being green!
Sidelock
Sidelock

email your photo to ggroshelatmsndotcom and Ill post them for you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: garyg
email your photo to ggroshelatmsndotcom and Ill post them for you.

Thanks, Gary. Look for an incoming from gfrog53! cool

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Still moving forward, slow but forward. Got the screw stock in and made some new screws. Locks up tight and inletting the lever into the pistol grip filler.

Still need to trim down the back of the firing pin.

Kind of fun working on a rifle that's not an expensive heirloom.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I made a new .32-40 head for my adjustable bullet seater this morning. This works well to find the seating depth the rifle likes.

Once the correct depth is found I'll make a new seater. The adjustable one has too many things that could come loose.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's looking good Michael, keep up the good work.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Michael Petrov

Kind of fun working on a rifle that's not an expensive heirloom.

That's about the only kind I ever get to see, much less work on! wink

There is a great deal of satisfaction to taking a bunch of lonely, mismatched parts and building something worthwhile out of them... but then of course I grew up playing with Erector Sets and TinkerToys! The hardest part these days is finding affordable materials to work with. Apparently Harlow and his ilk have gathered them all up for their own nefarious purposes. mad

Congratulations on another neat project Michael and I'll look forward to seeing even more progress on it in the future.

Regards,
Froggie

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Green FrogThere is a great deal of satisfaction to taking a bunch of lonely, mismatched parts and building something worthwhile out of them... [/quote]
Perhaps my chief source of enjoyment/fulfillment these days.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

My wife calls this most enjoyable process making a "$500 gun out of $1000 worth of parts, materials, phone calls, and gasoline." (Notice she considers my labor to be of insignificant value. Married 44 years.....)

Of course you guys would have to adjust those numbers somewhat (i.e. a lot). And the final product would be worth a heck of a lot more, no matter how you reckon worth! Serious "value added".

I love seeing these projects come together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry this took so long, deer opener.

Green Frogs FrankenBallard

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.