April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Replacement, Ian Forrester, DaveB, Der Ami, 2 invisible), 1,023 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,117
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you will go to the official reports of bear related fatalities for the last 20 years you will see that black bears are leading grizzlies in the number of predatory attacks on humans.They have lost their fear of man in many localities and are starting to view us as a source of food. The newspapers often do not report that a fatality involved the bear feeding on the victim but the official reports do.The reports are on line and can be found with some searching.I found out that most predatory attacks are done by male bears but one was a 112 pound female who killed and partially devoured 2 people. Hard to imagine that a small bear is that strong.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned a bar in my younger years (1980's) and some promoter talked me into having a "wrestling bear" for entertainment for the night. Short version is that this 140lb bear threw everyone of my "security staff" around like ragdolls. Big steriod taking bouncers 260 - 300lbs, in-shape, strong fighters - etc. They didn't have a chance. This little bear beat the hell out of anyone that cared to give it a whirl. Same basic comment out of everyone that tried... That little guy has "retard strength and he's not really even trying".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
My "throwaway" weapon is $120 9x19 Tokarev. Randy, are you familiar with this concept?

9x19 Tokarev? I guess it was Makarov, Tokarev is 7,62 mm or .300 caliber and its weaker on bear wink

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been around many black bears and never had a problem!

Once I got between a sow and her new cub just to see what she would do. The sow ran to a nearby tree, climbed to the top and bawled like a baby. The cub stayed near me as I don't think that it was afraid of me or wanted to leave its mother. When I left, the sow climbed down, got her her cub and walked away.

There were many times that I would encounter black bears while hiking, hunting or fishing and there was never a problem! Often the bears were eating berries or oats and were content upon eating a meal.

The impression that I got that they were very docile animals!

I think that these stories about wild animal attacks always happen to Yanks.

Have a nice day,

Franchi

ps. Now my encounters with moose and elk were not pleasant!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I pet a pretty nice pit-bull once...doesn't mean I'd tempt my fate and let my guard down around every one I encounter. Don't think I'd get between a sow and her cub (on purpose) just to see what she would do - but that's just me. Good ole' Yankee common sense goes a long way.

I do agree that a 1200 lb. moose is sca-a-a-r-r-y!

Best regards,

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would much rather run into a black bear then a moose-the cows are worse, on the trail out from the deer stand at night !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Franchi, I think most bears in PA are pretty well conditioned to human encounters?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
Franchi, I think most bears in PA are pretty well conditioned to human encounters?

I'd have to agree with the 'conditioning' idea. Wildlife that is actively hunted has a natural and healthy fear of man. When we protected the alligators down South for 20 plus years, the big guys lost all fear of people swimming or boating. They'll follow the boat 'helping' you release Snook in some of the back country bays in the Everglades National Park. Same thing in Billy's Lake in the Okeefinoke. Gator attacks have increased dramatically...Geo

EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS

I'd have to agree with the 'conditioning' idea. Wildlife that is actively hunted has a natural and healthy fear of man. Gator attacks have increased dramatically...Geo

Well, gator attacks are not a big thing here in the Wisconsin Northwoods, but bears can be pests. Years ago, when a bear permit was free with a deer license, I used to try to stick a bruin with my bow and arrow, from a tree stand, over stale donuts, with zero success. Back then the bears were mostly taken by guys running them with Plot hounds and the like, and the bears knew that they were being pursued. I sincerely doubt that a bow hunter occasionally sticking one would have sent a message to bears in general to avoid people.

I always considered black bears to be big raccoons, albeit a fired-up coon could do damage to my hounds, but I figured; why hunt bears with a bow and arrow if there wasn't some risk? I had read about Saxon Pope and Arthur Young stalking and taking grizzly bears in Yellowstone Park in the 1920s without back-up guns, and I had seen the mounts at the Museum in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco...so, What the heck?

I hunted bears in the 1980s, albeit black bears, until one overcast evening as I waited, hoping that the bear rustling around in the nearby thicket would come in and put his nose into my donut pile and Viola! a bearskin rug. But no joy, shooting time elapsed, never actually saw the bear, and I climbed down into a dark woods to follow the trail to my vehicle...when I walked into a whole flock of ruffed grouse, that exploded and kept exploding in every direction and I thought that I was going to die, at least of a heart attack.

As it was, bear permits started getting so popular that the WI-DNR began charging for them and then rationed them on a lottery basis, and I lost interest, bear-less in this lifetime. Yet all those bears I never saw while hunting them became very visible around our lake cottage (30 miles south of Duluth/Superior) and even wandering in and about town, and increasingly so to the extent that the TV stations from Madison WI (a short 45 miles north of my farm on the IL/WI state line), regularly report bear sightings in the suburbs of Madison, all of which are documented by cell-phone cameras. The punchline being:

When the Northwoods or other bear habitat gets so overbuilt, as it is now, by urban sprawl and/or vacation lake cottages elbow to elbow, ringing every lake and along every river, the "conditioning" of bears to their human neighbors is an accomplished fact. I doubt whether anyone on this website can claim that he has not one obnoxious neighbor, be it a lawnmower at 0630 on Sunday morning...or you fill in the blank:_______________. Why should we expect bears to be better behaved than the neighbor's pit bull?

The black bears I see in the Northwoods are not bothersome but could be. I have watched a black bear walk within 30 feet of ParkerDog (my yellow Lab) as he sat on the back stoop of our cabin...each aware of the other, but minding his own business. We had a couple of coon-sized cubs up a tree down by the lake with the mother bear guarding the tree and I got within about 20 feet in the canoe (stupid is as stupid does--I forgot to charge the camera battery!) Black bears go with the territory, now. Why two cubs would climb a tree and bite a bow hunter is a puzzlement; why the hunter didn't put an arrow into the first one is an even greater puzzlement. Perhaps more bear hunters using dogs would put the fear of man back in the black bear gene pool...or maybe not.

Perhaps if I live enough I'll have bears gravitating south to my 22-acre forest on the IL side of the state line; the deer stands are in place, and I trust the big raccoons still crave out-of-date Crispy Creams.

Nothing stimulates the imagination more than one person we have never met, out of more than 300,000,000 Americans, getting shark-bit or bear-bit or alligator-bit. Investigation continues. EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have killed a couple of bears and helped track a few that were wounded by other hunters. I was on my hands and knees following a blood trail through a cedar swamp and when I looked up the wounded bear(by a bow hunter who was color blind and could not see the blood)was about 15 feet away from me just laying there looking at me with its front paws crossed like it hadn't a care in the world. I shot the bear but I always wonder what would have happened if I had not looked up. The bear was only slightly wounded by the arrow and didn't seem too concerned about me at all.Almost all bears want to avoid us but the ones that don't will change your mind about their danger to mankind.
Bears are just like people. Most will allow you to go on your own way but every once in awhile you run into a Jeffry Dahmer or a Ted Bundy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.