Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#205408 10/10/10 06:08 PM
shep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The above address is on the rib of my Edward Lang blne. I just saw this interesting makers label on following auction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=193875782

Any connection between the two makers?
Thanks,
Shepard

Indecision may or maynot be my problem. Jimmy Buffet
Sidelock
Sidelock

There were name changes to streets and re-numbering systems taking place in the last couple of decades of the 19th century. A lot of gunmakers were very close to one another and as one left or closed, another could well take over the business or the premises of a local rival. Not sure about a link or a takeover (more likely).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Edward Lang was born in 1841, the youngest of the five sons of the famous Joseph Lang. He appears to have been appenticed to his father, but events suggest that he became a shopman and / or office manager, and this theory is supported by James Lang's later claim that he was "the only practical partner" in the firm.

In 1868 Joseph Lang died and reportedly, Joseph's widow, Hannah (stepmother to the sons) and James inherited the business.

Edward was recorded in the 1871 census living at 2 Lodge Place, Dorset Square, Regents Park. He was unmarried and described himself as a gun manufacturer.

In 1874 he married Amy Louisa Batty (formerly Davies b.1850 in Ealing), they lived at 2 Auckland Hill, Norwood, Surrey. It was in 1874 that the firm was re-named Joseph Lang & Son, the son being James. Edward may have been made a partner in the business in 1875, but this has not been confirmed and the name of the firm does not ever seem to have changed to Joseph Lang & Sons.

On 25 February 1876 James and Amy Louisa had twin sons, Sydney Galt Lang and Claude Danvers Lang.

It appears that Edward left the firm in about 1878 to open his own business at 88 Wigmore Street where he was recorded in 1880. He reportedly started his own business as an outworker, but also sold his own guns under the name "Lang" and this, later in the 1890s, became a matter of concern to Joseph Lang & Sons. A large proportion of Edward's guns were made by Charles Osborne & Co.

In 1880 Edward moved from 88 Wigmore Street to 89 Wigmore Street, premises previously occupied by Richard Jackson and Richard Ivorie, he may have bought their business. In 1880 a third son, Edward Davies Lang, was born.

In the 1881 census Edward and Amy Louisa, Sydney and Claude, and Amy's son by a previous marriage, Arthur John Batty (b.1871), were recorded living at 1 Ealing Terrace, Uxbridge Road, Ealing. This property was owned by Louisa Davies, Amy's mother, who also lived there with her sister and several grandchildren.

On 1 December 1885 a fourth son, Gordon Henry Davies Lang was born.

In the 1891 census Edward was recorded living at 89 Wigmore Street with his wife, Amy, her son Arthur J Batty (an apprentice engineer), Sydney, Gordon, a daughter named Dorothy (b.1885), his aunt and a nephew.

The firm was not recorded after 1891. The increased mechanisation of gun manufacture, which the larger trade manufacturers could afford, allowed them to undercut prices and forecast the end of the hand-crafted gun industry. It is worth noting that James Lang sold his business in 1893, and the old firm of Joseph Lang & Son was sold in December 1893 to P Webley & Sons.

In about 1900 the family moved to Ashley House, London Road, Berkshire. In the 1901 census Edward, Amy, Dorothy, Gordon, and his aunt were all recorded living there. Edward described himself as a gun maker working from home, his guns were still being made by Charles Osborne & Co.

Edward died on 16 July 1905, aged 64.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have one of Edward Lang's 12 hammer guns with the 89 Wigmore Street, London, address. SN 1402. It could easily be an Osborne built gun.

You'd probably need to view the PhotoBucket image to be able to zoom into the detail. There used to be a James Lang, the brother, 12 BL here in town.

Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny, I lived at Wigmore 2, 26 Church Street for 25 years but that was in Deal in kent it is not an uncommon name.
Martin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
"You'd probably need to view the PhotoBucket image to be able to zoom into the detail. "

N.B:
After all these years I was recently made aware of a "zoom" feature. If you hold the Ctrl key(lower right)on your keyboard down while hitting the - or + keys (upper right) you can zoom in or out on an picture with ease.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
After all these years I was recently made aware of a "zoom" feature. If you hold the Ctrl key(lower right)on your keyboard down while hitting the - or + keys (upper right) you can zoom in or out on an picture with ease.
Jim

Thanks, that's the easiest zoom feature I've heard of....Geo

shep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't have the ability to load photo's on the road. I will try to get something online soon. All info is great.
Thanks
Shep

Indecision may or maynot be my problem. Jimmy Buffet

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.