May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 702 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,607
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had to sue UPS and FEDEX both to collect on damaged shipments. They wouldn't even talk to me until they received the small claims notices. Then, in a short period of time, a check appeared in my mail. USPS registered is the most secure way to ship (and often the cheapest). I have had one claim with USPS and it was settled fairly and relatively quickly. When I worked for a bank in Alaska, we regularly shipped bags of currency through the mail, registered.

LCSMITH
Sidelock
Sidelock

Postal Service gets my vote! Only problem I ever had was shipping a guys Lefever back to him in Ohio and used Registered instead of Priority. The post office is very careful with registered.

When the gun arrived at its last destination, the clerk who signed for it was going on a week's vacation. Without telling anyone, she put it in a locker till she got back from her vacation rather than let anyone else touch it while she was responsible. The post office was sweating pretty hard till she got back!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel for you. If I buy something from the US I insist that USPS are not used...it's a nightmare..complete disconnect when anything comes into the UK. I always insist on a global carrier for consistent tracking...I know it's a different issue domestically...good luck..I hope it turns up.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

USPS may be the most secure but they have the tracking technology of the Amish! They once lost track of a registered package for 10 days on a normal next day destination. Lots of polite phone calls but no real info. Package just showed up and was left with out a signature. Fedex has twice deliver to a house down the street and there tracking does not show the destination address. I use UPS, package it well and insure with a 3rd party.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use USPS. Heres why,
1. they have (knock wood) bever lost a gun on me or anything else that matter.
2. I dont have to pay USPS for the right to give them business like you do as a regular daily pick up UPS account.
3. UPS and FEDEX do not pay over 1000 of value on any used gun. Dont believe me, ask them. It doesnt matter if they sold you 10 grand in insurance on your double when you shipped with them. if it get brolken or lost, they limit themsleves to 1000.00. I know, I have had that happen to me personally. I made all the calls. threatened lawsuit etc.

here is what it says on their website: http://fedex.com/cn_english/services/scc.html

Declared Value Limits

1) FedEx Letter / FedEx Envelope / FedEx Pak

The maximum declared value for customs and carriage for a shipment using a FedEx Letter, FedEx Envelope or a FedEx Pak is US$100.00. Regardless of whether you declare a value for carriage exceeding US$100.00 for a FedEx Letter, a FedEx Envelope or a FedEx Pak, FedEx's maximum liability for any claim is limited to US$100.00.

2) Shipments of Extraordinary Value

Shipments containing any of the following items of extraordinary value are limited to a maximum declared value for carriage of US$1,000 per shipment or US$20 per kilogram, whichever is greater. Our maximum liability for any claim for such item is US$1,000 per shipment or 19 Special Drawing Rights ("SDR") per kg, whichever is greater. The conversion to local currency uses the exchange rate published by the International Monetary Fund.

Artwork
Antiques
Glassware
Jewelry including watches and gems
Precious metals Furs
Ostrich and emu eggs
Collector’s items
Film, photographic images Guitar and other Musical instruments that are more than 20 years old
Stocks, bonds, cash letters or cash equivalents Any commodity that by its inherent nature is particularly susceptible to damage, or the market value of which is particularly variable or difficult to ascertain

* Full description of the above Items of Extraordinary Value are set out in the Conditions of Carriage

FEDEX considers firearms as collectables and as commodities.
So, for all of you who ship FEDEX and think you are protected. Yo have been giving FEDEX lots of insurance rpemiums for insurance you will never collect on. And they will sell it you and not say a word.

Last edited by Brian; 09/25/10 05:09 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Has nothing to do with the BATF. You should report it stolen to the nearest police and make sure they enter the information into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC). You also need to report it stolen so you can get a case number for your taxes.

If the gun is run anywhere by a LEO it will pop up on NCIC. That's assuming on my part that it has a serial number.

Sorry you lost your gun and good luck recovering it.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

The thing is Fed Ex is a "FOR PROFIT" business in competition with others of their like and not a federally controlled monopoly. Therefore, unlike the Post Office, they have to make a serious effort to please their customers. They, and UPS as well,
provide instant tracking for all deliveries and for an item costing over $1,000 I would want to be able to track it. If they started losing or damaging customers shipments and the word got out, like through this & other forums, they would begin to lose business, and that's a no-no. In the case of the PO they wouldn't care IMO.
Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Contact the Postal Inspectors Office for your area. Since this is a firearm they will be most interested in finding out what happened to your Lefever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

dubbletrubble, please keep us posted on how this ends up. I'm wondering what happens if your gun is found by USPS after they have paid you on the insurance claim. Do they still attempt to get it to you, or is it sold at some lost/recovered items auction, or what? I agree with Twicebarrel's advice to contact the Postal Inspector, and do try to speak with upper level people.

Sadly, I don't think it appears to be a condition of employment for USPS, or any other delivery service, that you must be able to read. I've had many items that required delivery confirmation merely left on my steps. I've had mail and packages that belonged to other people left at my place... often with an address that wasn't even close. I hope this has a happy ending. I'd hate to see another Lefever scattered to the four winds.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow!! Never saw so many guys who just got off of the boat at the same time. After being on this website very long you should have heard all of the horror stories and known that shipping guns through the mail will get them nothing but lost. Oh yes, you can use Fed Ex or UPS- then they will end up getting to their destination broken in half with towmotor tracks across the box. I have never shipped a gun through the mail after hearing all the stories I have heard on this (and other boards) over the years. If I want something done to a gun, or I want to buy or sell a gun, I do my business within driving distance. I would NEVER ship a gun anymore. You are only asking for trouble. Sorry. No offense. Just my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.