March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Der Ami, JDH, craigd, JayCee, 2 invisible), 364 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back from the Vintagers.

It was HOT and being surrounded by the bay, well, humid too. Thur, Fri and Sat all hit 90+. Vintage attire was quickly shed in favor of heat survival clothing of shorts, open shoes and cotton shirts. Sunday a cool front moved in and made for a nice day for the main event.

The targets were excellent. Shooters moved through the course without much delay. I shot one event Friday afternoon and that was enough due to the heat. Saturday I shot early and got in 2 prelim rounds. Had the weather been nicer, I would have gotten the Carte Blanc and shot till I dropped, in the heat 3 events was enough.

I noticed a few vendors I patronize, did not make it. Some dealers were having a good show, others reported it slow. When I queried the dealers, it seemed everyone was shopping for "a small gauge ____" and you fill in the blank.

I sold 2 guns and traded 1 towards a dent raising kit. I have some "project guns" (read wall hangers), with more than enough dents to get me up to speed before I tackle any nice gun.

It was also my wife's first trip. She enjoyed the entire event. We ate Maryland crabs every evening at different venues. She is ready to go back next year (except for the drive from NC).

Except for the flat tire, 9pm, on RTE 50, limping into a Subway parking lot to unload everything into the parking lot, to reach the spare, to change the tire, to reload the car and then dinner. At least that nice pub in Easton was open late with lots of cold beer and good crab soup.

Joe

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just posted pics of the event to my blog:

http://www.dogsanddoubles.com

Pics of the Manufrances are in there.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, can you tell us what restaurants you visited? You seem to be happy with the ones you patronized.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anybody happen to see a Lefever 16 G Optimus there? I heard a rumor.

Great-Great Grandson of D.M. Lefever
www.lefevercollectors.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope, however, there may have been two or three under tables to be offered to the elite. There usually are. More Optimus grade Lefevers seem to come out every year.

Last edited by eightbore; 09/28/10 06:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, I'm not Joe, but regarding restaurants, our group went to Washington St. Pub in downtown Easton--pub fare and good beer--great for the first night, and Harris' Crab House on Kent Island, which had a quite remarkable "all you can eat" crab, shrimp and corn feast, finished rather excessively with their home-made nutty buddy desserts. The latter place is a favorite and I always try to dine there-although after the big feast I was rather ashamed of myself for excess gluttony. Others went to the Crab Claw in St. Michaels and reported favorably. Keith L.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Hello Joe,

Good report.

Next trip pick one . wink

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr. Bob, the Optimus was supposed to have been viewed by several Lefever Arms Collectors Assoc. members and "given the stamp of approval" according to the seller. I wonder if these members will come forth with their views. Hmmmmmm????

DGM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

There were fewer dealers again this year. Long time dealers like Holland & Holland, FAMARS, and Mid South (all of whom were at the Southern this year) weren't there. Dealer attendance at the Vintage Cup continues in the opposite direction of the Southern SXS shoot which has been growing fast and is now much bigger than the Vintagers.

Dealers point to tables at the Vintage Cup costing a lot more than at the Southern as the main reason the two events are going in the opposite direction. Also, the Vintagers $20 daily admission for visitors discourages new people from coming to out to learn about the sport and visit the vendor tents. Neither the Southern nor Great Northeast SXS shoots charge a gate fee for visitors.

Hopefully, the organizers will make the event more affordable for vendors and visitors, as its the vendors and curious vistitors that really bring in new people into the sport.

The Southern and Great Northeast SXS have been growning rapidly of late, it would be nice to see the same thing happening to the Vintage Cup.

"When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk." - Tuco

DGM #204507 09/30/10 12:08 PM
EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

DGM: You sum up my take on the event exactly. My son and I drove over from Nokesville VA on Saturday. For me it was to see lots of people I've known for a long time...and the same-old same-old guns and stuff in the game fair tents. Paying $40 for the two of us after driving around D.C. to one of the remotest and hard to get to venues would be a deal breaker for all but the most motivated, and it was reflected in the scaled-down dealer presence and, I suspect, a dramatically lower paid attendance. There just weren't that many people around, and I knew too many of the familiar faces...few if any newbies or anyone under 55...alas!

Everything appeared pretty thin. The food tent went inside this year. At 2:00 p.m. Saturday, all they had were crab cakes and veggie burgers (crab cakes were good!). I have attended about 9 or 10 of the Vintage Cups, including the first in RI in 1997. I am sure a good time was had by all, and I found it worth my trip and my $20 share of the admit fee, but I doubt that new double-gun prospects like my son (in his mid-30s with one Trojan 12-bore) will ever be attracted to the situation as it now exists: A virtual private party for the dyed-in-the-wool double-gunners, like myself...alas! EDM

EDM
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.