Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#203715 09/23/10 02:05 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Time for another Krag buildup, this time based on a Herter's stock from Gunbroker,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181477632

This appears to be a "factory finished" job and turned out to be nice. Neat QD swivels. I have a brand new in the white 30" .30-40 barrel from DCM, issue contour - they sold a handful a year or so back. I have several Krag actions to choose from. Also, and this is the piece de resistance, I have for many years treasured a Hensoldt Dialytan prewar 4x in a custom Stith Streamline mount for a Krag. There are three screws going into the left receiver wall and two up front holding the typical Stith objective shield to the barrel. It is slightly offset to the left. Stith made these mounts for about any rifle and scope combination for $25 or $30. I have no idea what happened to the original rifle - the gent who sold me the scope and mount wouldn't say. For a trigger, I have a Canjar SST which, one of two that I ordered, took five years to deliver. On custom Krags, I like a third action screw at the front of the receiver that lets the barrel float. Norwegian and Danish Krags have this third screw. In their wisdom, our Ordnance skipped it. This will end up as rather too heavy for a nunting rifle, not really super accurate I suppose, but it will be a terrific offhand high power plinker.

mkbenenson #203726 09/23/10 03:56 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good project, I envy you that scope setup! Will you alter the stock? Reason I ask is that last year I completed a Mauser Banner for a friend using a Herter's semi-inlet, and found that there was a fairly good-looking classic style stock lurking beneath all that extra wood. Good luck.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
J.D.Steele #203748 09/23/10 06:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is a finished stock, nicely checkered, not a semi inlet. The high thick comb should be OK with the relatively big Hensoldt and its slight left offset. We will see.

mkbenenson #204234 09/27/10 10:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From time to time I will report on this project and hope to add photos as I go along ... if I learn how to post them. I am probably going to use receiver no. 425088, from 1903, the penultimate year of Krag production. It is the cleanest receiver I have, unfortunately it is attached to a very undistinguished sporter which I will cannibalize. I have unattached receivers but this one needs no refinishing. The bolt assembly is OK but I think I will replace it with new parts from Joe DeChristopher, joede@tradenet.net. I saw Joe last Saturday at a small PA show near Allentown. My understanding is that Joe married the daughter of W. Stokes Kirk, who in the 20s and 30s of the last century bought tons of surplus parts from the US government. I have some old Stokes Kirk catalogs and the stuff is fascinating. Crates of the parts - from Krags, trapdoors and 1903s - are said to be in Joe's garage. The guard screws on this action are badly buggered and so are all the other guard screws in my parts box - they are the same as 1903 guard screws and my 1903s are similarly battered. So I bought two new screws from Joe - brand new - for fifteen bucks. Easier than cleaning up the ones I have. Joe also has brilliantly heat blued extractors, $25 and polished bolt bodies, $35. I have fairly good extractors and a couple of shiny bolts but they do not compare with the finish Springfield did as routine work over a century ago. Joe will sell a complete brand new bolt for $125. Considering how much will be spent on this sporter before it is finished, it is probably worth buying those parts.

mkbenenson #205070 10/06/10 06:56 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Continuing the Krag story, call this part the screw saga. The Stith mount is held on by five screws, three on the left receiver wall and two on the barrel. I was resigned to having these made. But last week printed up my 2002 inventory preparatory to updating it and lo, there was 'brown envelope 2x3" with screws for Stith Krag mount'. After fifteen years or so, I had forgotten the screws came with the Hensoldt and the mount. Grand, but where was it? The ceiling in my gunroom had collapsed two years ago in a terrific rainstorm, everything had been moved out willy nilly, cleaned up and moved back helter skelter. The precious envelope was not in the Krag or scope mount boxes. After a very long tense search it was found with the High Wall parts. What a relief. These are Allen head screws, like all old Stith stuff they are elegantly made and finished, and would have been a minor headache to make. The front foot of the mount seems to be contoured underneath to fit a service barrel so it should be OK on the 30" tube I bought from DCM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.