May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (fab500, arrieta2, Argo44, canvasback, 2 invisible), 286 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,515
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hauck Rifle,

Sir,

Someone once wrote that the African Hyena looked like an animal designed by a Government Committee. I'm afraid that, in my opinion, your rifle falls into falls into the same category.

It's a compilation of designs and ornamentation covering at least three centuries.

J.D.Steele may very well be right when he suggests the best parts are the Scope sight and the cartridge box. You may get a better price if the parts are split.

Regarding the story regarding the manufacture of this group of four Hauck rifles, I'm afraid that without documentation or other 'proof' it's just an interesting story and not a provenance that would add to the value of the rifle.

I understand that an article on this particular rifle is to appear in a well known American Single Shot Journal in the near future. Whilst this tends to only be read by single shot rifle enthusiasts, it will draw attention of many towards this rifle.

If it doesn't sell in the current auction then I would suggest you wait until the article has appeared, then offer it for sale or auction again, perhaps with the scope and ammunition box sold as seperates.

I have no idea what you paid for the rifle, but given the 'Buy it Now' price, I am assuming it was in four figures, and slightly lower than the current asking price. You may be lucky and break even, you may even make a slight profit if you can find what is known in gun buying circles as 'A live one' i.e. someone who has to have an item at any price.

Good luck.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 09/08/10 04:53 AM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Take your time, you will find a buyer, the right person will come along.

I get a lot of folks who write or email me with pictures of rifles that I don't think much of. Responding to them without hurting their feeling is difficult.

There are a lot of rifles out there that are not to my taste (a very subjective term) look at all the rifles Roy Weatherby sold.

Kind of like me asking how they knew what side was up when they hung the Jackson Pollock painting ;-).

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

The owner of a used car business located next door to my favorite local gun shop had a motto, similar to some I've heard attributed to P.T.Barnum.

"There's an ass for every car seat!"

Not sure exactly how he meant that....
Regards, Joe

Last edited by J.D.Steele; 09/08/10 05:24 PM.

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Michael
First off, I thank you for your words of kindness; they are greatly appreciated.
Mr. Eales;
Again I appreciate your honesty in calling a spade a spade while others call it a F**king shovel :}. Having no knowledge of the various subtleties of the single shot rifle; it's physical characteristics are lost on me other than the fact I did recognize the Weatherby touch of the 1950's in the stock; the Germanic? nature of the engraving and the uniqueness of the lever. Are these the 3 different centuries you were referring to? As far as value of the rifle; it can only be measured in the friendship built over 25 years when I owned & ran a small gun-shop where I offered assistance to my customers, in some cases, simply due to my wanting to gain experience with the toys at hand. In this case, the gentleman from whom I received the Hauck enjoyed big game hunting in Alaska & Africa but had neither the time desire to take the pounding of setting up his various .375 H&H mag's and preparing them to ship. His trips were successful on all scores; to whit he attributed my skills in the prep. His business' have prospered while mine died, due in great part to suffering serious health problems in the interim; but he has always kept me in his heart, helping me when possible to the point he called me one day to tell me of this old rifle he had setting in the corner of his garage which he felt I might be able to put to good use. It was a gift from a wonderful friend. I tried to show the Hauck on many different sites to gain some idea of value then guessed a figure & Voila' . I evidently guessed far off what she is worth. cry
I told the story of the 4 rifles in hopes that one of the other owners might recognize the gun & possibly have an interest. Other than that, I realize that without "proof" it is nothing more than a neat story! Again, thank you all for being so kind as to put up with this old dummy who discovered fool's gold blush rather than the real thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hauck Rifle,
Sir,
There are plenty of old Dummies and Old Pharts around here myself included, I'm one of the original grumpy old men.

The three Centuries are:- The engraving style at least 17th.C possibly earlier, The basic falling block breech loading rifle design the mid. 19th.C and of course the (Modern Art)stock design from the mid 20th.C.

I did not mean any offence with my comments, and I hope none were take. I try to be as honest as I can, but personal opinions are not always shared by everyone. I wish you luck in your search for a buyer and I hope you get a satisfactory price.

Regards,

Harry Eales

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonder what Wilber had for breakfast?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.