April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (cpa, JDH, Jimmy W, Pwog, MD2, 1 invisible), 351 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#201953 09/06/10 04:01 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a W C Scott & Son 8 gauge,that I have been thinking about having professionally restored. The bores are perfect, lever right of center and on face. Just a great old gun.The Damascus barrel finish is very faded. The wood, although in excellent condition has no finish and the wood is almost black, and checkering is worn. The wood when taken out in the sun is spectacular with lots of fire and covered in small Birdseye's. I would like some recommendations on who in the states can do the wood and the barrels. I plan on leaving the rest of the metal alone. Possible the barrels to one Smith and the wood to another if needed.
I also would like to know if there are any records on these old guns?
Also any idea on what type of wood was used on these guns?

Thanks Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phil: W&C SCOTT & SON was absorbed by Atkin, Grant & Lang now owned by our fellow board member Diggory Hadoke. If there are surviving records for your gun, he would, probably, have them. "BRITISH GUNMAKERS VOLUME II" lists W&C SCOTT years of manufacture by serial number from 1865 thru 1971. It also states that the records are now in the possession of Richard Gallyon who can be contacted at Tel 01953 850215 FAX 01953 851800.

It's a long way to South Carolina from Tucson but Jim Kelly of Darlington Gun Works, Darlington, SC has just completed complete restoration of my E.M. Reilly 4-bore double including rebrowning of the barrels and refreshing the wood. His phone number is Area Code 843 393-3931. He is the only one that I personally know that I would trust to restore a good gun.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd send the barrels to Buck Hamlin...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Abe Chaber in CT specializes in stock making and refinishing, 203-748-1830

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

For rebrowning the damascus barrels I would get in touch with Craig Smith at Circle Fly Wads.

http://www.circlefly.com/

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why do you want to refinish it? All that benefits is the gunsmith.

For the most part, it will not increase the gun's value.

Why wipe away all its history? Why not leave the finish alone, repair it mechanically, and be done with it?

The gun's finish is its history.

Refinished, it's just another refinished gun.

BTW: no one can make it look "new". It will look refinished.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the feed feedback and information. I realize that restoration is a sensitive subject. Not all would agree that a gun should be altered in any way. I am fortunate to own several shotguns, I would never think of restoring, and others that I have had freshened up.
This is a great gun, but I know of nothing of the providence. The gun was used and well kept, but the wonderful wood and Damascus are a far cry from its days of glory.I shoot this gun and will continue to do so. It has been my understanding that most English guns were regularly sent out to be to be restored. I would like to think that the former owner that bought this wonderful shooter would have appreciated it getting freshened up.
I do not think it is a stretch to imagine that he might have done so himself had the distance not been so far.
I hope to soon have the ruling changed prohibiting the use of the 8 gauge for hunting in Arizona. Our Governor has a moratorium on all rule changes as a cost cutting measure. Once this moratorium is lifted on rule changes,I hope the ruling will be reversed, as it now has the support of the AZ Game and Fish commission.
I have now set a goal to be the first person in modern times to take a turkey with an 8 gauge in Arizona.
I thought I would share some information on this gun and will provide pictures later, once I have an opportunity to take some decent pictures.
The S/N is 34415. It has 34 1/4" Damascus barrels. The gun weighs in at an even 12 lbs. There is a Swan engraved on the frame along with scroll work. Barrels are chocked .804 in both barrels. I shot it recently patterned it shooting 5 shots from each barrel at 30 yards using 1 3/4 oz of #2's. The pattern was such that less than 6 pellets were out side the circle, and the pattern was not only centered but very evenly distributed.
None of the guns I have owned have patterned as nice.
Thanks again for the interest and sharing of your knowledge.
Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see no reason not to remove the oil stain from the wood. It is not expensive to do it yourself. there are posting on this subject that I have followed with success. You will enjoy watching the wood come to life. David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd love to see some pictures of the gun.

I think any work done to a gun like that should only be done by the best craftsman out there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree both with Joe & OWD. Only go with the best restorers or don't restore at all. I, too, would love to see some pictures of your gun.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.