May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (NCTarheel, smp190, 2 invisible), 375 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,528
Posts545,861
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#201819 09/05/10 10:41 AM
kstt Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What should I be soaking my L. C. Smith locks in, while I refinish the stock? I don't want to further harm the case colors, but they definately need a good cleaning on the inside.

ben-t
Unregistered
ben-t
Unregistered

I wouldn't soak them at all. Spray them with Marvel penatrating oil, scrub the works with a tooth brush, spray clean with LPS contact cleaner and properly lube for reinstallation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The spray can brake and alternator cleaner at the auto parts store is the hot setup. The non-residue kind. Dirt cheap and will remove decades of crud in a very satisfying way. It will also remove most stock finishes and your lungs if you take a hit on the can. I use it to clean old electronics and guns.

Quick, easy, and way cheap.

works for me

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you really want to get the locks and action clean on the cheap....soak the works in diesel fuel...lightly scrub, dry and lube.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

When cleaning old guns parts were there is a build-up of the kind of varnish from old oil etc, I use the method handed down to me by a very experienced gunmaker.
I simply put all the pieces in a stainless steel saucepan, cover in tap water, add a suitable amount of dishwasher powder or liquid and boil for 10 minutes.
Rinse off with clean water, dry in a warm oven or blow off with compressed air.
De-water with WD40 or similar if any doubts about whether all moisture has been removed, and then oil/grease.
This will remove all traces of old oil and grease from crevices and engraving. It will not harm any existing finishes that I have come across.
A light work-over with a dremel may be required for surface rust, use on coloured surfaces at your own risk!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use the spray carburetor cleaner, which is a volatile hydrocarbon (maybe carbon tet) and it cleans, drys quckly and the you can spray it with Rem Oil, marvel etc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I take the action (removed from stock) and soak overnight in Coleman Fuel, then I use spray carburator or brake cleaner (with the long red plastic tube) to blast out any remaining crude deep in the action (works especialy well on boxlocks). Dry with compressed air or overnight. Next I relubricate and blast out excess lubricant with my airhose and put it all back together.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
kstt Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wow! Lots of home remedies that all sound good. I tried some PB Blaster, because that's what I had on hand. It seemed to work well, with no apparent harm to the finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Hoppe's No. 9 solvent. I apply it liberally with a small paintbrush, let it sit for awhile, and brush crud with a brass toothbrush. Repeat as necessary. My air compressor does wonders for small areas that are hard to reach after the solvent loosens things up. The brass toothbrushes are at my local hardware store with the plumbing, specifically, the soldering supplies. I also use bronze wool and small brass scrapers made out of large rifle brass. I flatten the case mouth and it makes a great little scraper for heavy buildups of rust or crud. The brass scraper may leave little streaks of brass, but some No. 9 on a rag wipes it right off. I can apply lotsa 'elbow grease' with my non-ferrous implements with no fear of damaging remaining finishes or natural patina. Cheers!

GMC(SW) - USN, Retired (1978-2001)

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had good luck with mineral spirits, and Kerosene.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.