April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (AaronN, HMAK, Bob Jurewicz, Lloyd3, Argo44, 1 invisible), 1,055 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,435
Posts544,708
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Question for AmarilloMike -

Any concerns about running their 16 loads through your Parker? I expect it's pretty stout as described... but always still wonder about high pressures with old wood.

I've always thought I will have to have one of my A.H. Fox or Parkers when I go or forever regret it... I'd just not try to put 1000 rds through either.

Thanks,

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

The shell every 4.68 seconds is easily doable. Hitting 77% is also doable. But, for 13 hours straight? I wonder. I hold back on the shots, pretty much, and have averaged one shell per 14 seconds for a whole trip. What is amazing is the man's endurance. One would have to be in excellent physical condition. I'd say he was most certainly using a loader.

I've never seen an instance where "flock shooting" was doable. Even with the millions that one sees in the air on a trip, an individual bird has to be picked out and shot at. Out of roughly four thousand birds I downed last trip, I'll bet not over 10 times was there a true double, two birds with one shot. I use a light mod on the first barrel and a improved cylinder on the second.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just back from Argentina, I use a cloth bandaid on my loading thumb and wear them out at each shoot. Had to go to duct tape the last day but my thumb was not cut in spite of my 390's best efforts. I am to old to do the high volume dove bit but I did manage to shoot 1700 shells in 8 hunts, ducks, dove and pidgen. Seir gave me credit for the shells I did not shoot.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my 2 cents. I returned in late April from San Javier, about 4 hours west of Cordoba. We shot for 6 days, I was the wimp and only shot 4600 shells, primarily because I tried to conserve my shooting $. I shot a Beretta 391, 20 gauge and a B. Rizzini 28 gauge. The good part, the Beretta never hiccuped, I cleaned the exhaust ports every night and found it so pleasant to shoot that on warm days I took off my vest that contained the Reactor Gel pad and experienced no discomfort on my tee shirted shoulder. The disappointment was the number of birds, which my experienced companions said were about half of what they normally encountered. That being said they still shot 6-8K for the trip. I was disappointed in shooting the 28 gauge as the under abundance of birds did not present the shots for which the 28 would excel. The 28 gauge in this shoot was just not enough gun, in part because the shells were loaded with #7 shot, big enough but not enough, while the 20's were #8's.The Rizzini was excellent in all other regards and recommended by the outfitter, Marcelo Gil, an Olympic shooter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've just seen too many shot and greater than 60% is excellent. Break 70% and you may be on your best day ever. I'm not talking about just pulling a few feathers from the birds, but counting the one that do not rise about the horizon. For 13 hours, the scout has to be on one of his best days to locate the continuous flow of birds. And it could be that Marsden was in a triangle from the roost to the food source to water and back to roost.

Bundle shooting usually can't be rushed and really doesn't add to the total. But a ribbon of birds will look as though it is breathing. Watching that contraction and expansion will work into a rhythm but the ribbon usually falls apart for a finite time when disturbed just like Boat-tail Grackels but a bit faster. Twins are relatively common but you really have to work to get 4 or more.

Marsden is either shooting 2 or more trombones or 2 semi-autos with tube extensions(looks to be of the 7 shot total variety.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bill schodlatz
Seir gave me credit for the shells I did not shoot.

That's another issue of which to be aware. When you break a box(25 cartridges), not flat, you bought it. They'll tell you that you can't keep the singles. Some look the other way and some don't. You never know when you run upon a parakeet(?) nest on the way home. I'd either shoot them or just keep them in my vest/pocket. And I realize it is a business, but they'll box the singles and shoot them later.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

I resurrect this old thread in order to express my deepest gratitude to everyone who contributed to it. When BookYourHunt, the online platform that connects hunters and outfitters around the world (sort of the hunting Homeaway or AirBNB) asked me to do a blog post about high-volume dove shooting in Argentina, this was the first place I came to for the material. I made a lot of enquiries later, even consulting some of the Argentinean outfitters who are featured on BookYourHunt, but to be honest I could've written the story just based on this thread, and nobody would know the difference. Thank you all again.

Lest I forget, this is the link to the story How to survive high-volume dove shooting in Argentina

Sidelock
Sidelock

Excellent article!!! I'm still amazed at the pictures of all those millions of birds in those fields.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you!

Wish I could see all these clouds of birds with my own eyes...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good job with the story, HD. Very well done.

Concerning your wish to be able to see the clouds of doves with "your own eyes" I would add but one comment, to borrow a phrase from Capstick, who wrote it concerning hunting in Africa .................. it's worth borrowing money to go.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.