March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,244 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend of mine asked me to look at a Darne side by side 12 gauge that belongs to a friend of his. This gun started out in life as a relatively high grade gun but neglect and abuse has taken its toll.

It looks to be the early Classic model with the one piece stock and has serial number 6223, which I believe makes it pre 1900. It has 4 quality stamps on the barrel flats.

It has 27” (plus a little bit) barrels that look to be choked Full and Modified. A US dime will not go in the left barrel but will go in the right one. Extra piece added to the straight stock making the length of pull 15 + inches. The stock is cracked and has a crude repair. Severe pitting on the barrels.

I did not have snap caps so I did not dry fire either barrel to see if they were functional.

The owner would like to sell it. The question is: what is the gun worth and what can he expect to get for it?

Pictures below.

Thanks for looking.

Jolly

[IMG]

[img]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/jollybill2006/IMG_0671.jpg[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

What's it worth to have it hanging above the fireplace? If its a wallhanger, about $50.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have a fireplace but I'd give $25.00

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes the condition of an item goes past the point of no return. IMO You are all looking at just such an item.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shame. Let's say you found it in the woods.

Suspect the barrels may be beyond recovery - but let's say the pitting could be polished away and still leave the gun in proof. You would still have a new stock and major engraving effort to tackle. Low end, you would have a $3500 investment and it would more likely cost $5k - and all to create a $1500 - 1800 dollar gun. He'll have trouble giving it away.

I'd suggest to him he take up jOe on his offer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What a shame. Once a very nice gun and neglect has made it into something worth very little.Perhaps,the internal parts are in decent shape and they can be used to help another gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wallhanger would be best use.

NRA Life Member 1969
OGCA
Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys just don't like a challenge! Before you condemn it completely you should check out the inside of the barrels and the action. Now lets assume the action and barrels are okay. As for the stock, take off that sheet metal, epoxy the break,install some pins through the area for strength and then rechecker it across the repair to repair it cosmetically. Sand down the wood for the stock extension and use some dye to match it and it could come out looking surprizingly good for not much money. Yes to make it pristine would cost a fortune, but for a small amount of money it could be made into a nice looking shooter.
And that is my free advice, and worth every penny you paid for it!
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. The Darne name seems there on the lever although the photo is not sharp, and the flats have Canons Darne stamped. But, the punch marks are not the round stamps with Darne in them that we all know and love. 12 gauge with 2-1/2 (6.5 cm) chambers and two St. Etienne proof stamps. Can't make out the forwardmost stamp on the left barrel. Yes, check out the inside of the barrels before condemning it to wall hanging, although the pits, if they continue that deep all along the outside of the barrels would condemn it...

Regards

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Pinduck
Wallhanger would be best use.

Why would you even want to look at it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.