May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (fullandfuller), 795 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I've decided it's time for me to finally purchase that light 12 I've been wanting for several years. I'm looking for the best in a new (or lightly used) gun that I can get for $3000 or under. Among other options, I'm seriously considering a couple of the Ugartechea models offered by Lion Country Supply: in particular, the Grade III Boxlock (least expensive grade with ejectors) and the Grade IV Sidelock (least expensive sidelock).

From what I can tell from the photos, both of these grades seem to have more of a utilitarian fit, finish, and wood grade than comparable guns from other Spanish makers, such as AYA (model 4/53 and model 2) and even Aspen Outfitters' Ugartechea models. Of course, these other models are priced significantly higher than the offerings at Lion Country.

In the shotgun racket, I assume that you usually get what you pay for; however, with prices of the LC Uggies ranging from $2,300 (Grade III) to $3,200 (Grade IV), I'm assuming that they're not junk, either.

So, my question to those who own one or who have had the opportunity to personally inspect them: just how good are these Lion Country guns? How do you rate materials and workmanship? How do they handle, and stand up in the field? Would you consider them a good bargain, or would you advise spending more to get to the next level?

Last edited by Seymour Sunny; 04/28/10 02:27 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would you like me to stop in and fondle one for you? Maybe pick out one with the nicest wood?

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Jeff,

Nice of you to offer! I may just take you up; although I must admit that I'm used to doing my own fondling! grin

Sidelock
Sidelock

For about $3,000 to $3,500 you can pick up a used Webley & Scot Model 700 and for a 12 they may weigh 6 lbs 4 oz to 6 lbs 10 oz. (most are under 6 lbs 8 oz) They are marvelous guns and a really good value. Nothing against Uggies but I really don't think they are in the same league.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Of the Uggie model 30s I've owned they averaged 6 lb. 9 oz. in 12 ga. (I just checked my records) English grip non-ejector. I've handled Webley & Scotts also and can't say one handles better than the other. Matter of fact, Cabelas by me has a W&S 16 for $3400 that I drool over.
Why buy a used W&S for over 3K rather than a new Uggie grade III for $700-1200 less. The W&S probably has better fit and finish and engraving but that doesn't help dynamics. W&S probably has better trigger pull but $100 would fix the Uggie.

Here's a really good deal for someone; but you better hurry.

http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=166453834

Last edited by Patriot USA; 04/28/10 07:30 PM.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi, I have a Grade IV 16ga, but this one was not purchased from LCS. This is a very good gun and one of my favorites. While it is not a super great SLE, it is still a quality piece. The fit and finish is excellent as is the handling. The down side to Uggies (in general) is the wood. The figure is nothing to write home about, but there are exceptions. The "Oil" finish they use is not the greatest either. I had the stock refinished and now it's much more acceptable. The engraving is not very deep, but well done with a nice design. The bbl blue is nicely polished and the bbls are well struck. I can't really find any fault with this gun other than the wood. This gun has shot a lot of birds for me and has never failed, ejectors are strong and timed, triiger pulls are fine for hunting and mine shoots where I look.

My 16 weighs in at 6-8 on the dot, but I would bet that the 12's will go between 6-12 to 7, luck of the draw here.

I like mine and won't sell or trade it. I recommend them.

I suggest you may want to post this question or do a search on the "I Love My Spanish Guns" forum over on SGW. Quite a few of use own Uggies and you cabn get more info there.

Best of Luck to You on your search.....after all this is half the fun!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the grade I is the better value. There are lots of guns that compete in the $2,500-3,500 range, but I can't think of any that compete with a $1500 grade I Uggie for the same $. I had a 16 that weighed less than 6.5lbs and loved it. I might get another some day.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chicago has offered you some very good advice....I once owned an Ugartecheas SLE, and it was a nice Spanish shotgun...BUT... IMHO the Webley & Scott is a better investment of dollars and a superior shotgun...but it is you decision, not anyone elses.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Grade IV sidelock Uggie from Lion Country and was very pleased with it. A nice gun for the money. Zero problems.

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Grade IV 16 ga Uggie for LCS. Plain wood, 6 lbs 1 OZ. after several thousand rounds broke a firing pin that they fixed for free. A nice gun that I don't see myself selling.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.