May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (eeb, Guy Ave, 2 invisible), 413 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,524
Posts545,820
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Subject: San Francisco traffic Market Street 1906 four days before the earthquake

Not really relevant to this forum, but too fascinating not to show it to you guys.

http://www.carlustblog.com/2010/04/urban-traffic.html

Market Street in San Francisco, four days before the 1906 earthquake ......

Only one horseback rider. Comparatively few women on the avenue. Men walking with a notably confident stride.

America at the dawn of the 20thC, about to take leadership of the world. Four days later ... all fall down, including Pope's new shop.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A fascinating piece of history. It would seem that there were a lot of members of Suicides 'R' Us out and about that day.

Even in the early days of motoring it's easy to see why regulation of both traffic and pedestrians was necessary.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Amazing, no order or structure to the various forms of traffic at all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
I'm surprised you didn't recognize Harry riding one of his uncle's Pope bicycles. smirk
Seriously, if Tom Rowe ever gets the Pope book finished you will see that most of his machinery is still alive and well living 10 miles from me in southwest Wisconsin. Above most of the machines there is a photo of Pope using them. The most interesting to my eyes is the rifling cutter. The mechanism that provides for gain twist is extremely simple.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: joelblack88
Seriously, if Tom Rowe ever gets the Pope book finished you will see that most of his machinery is still alive and well living 10 miles from me in southwest Wisconsin.

Can you expand on that? I'm only a few hours from SW WI, and I travel that way a few times a year to shoot at Lodi. So, if this is some place that is open to folks like me, I would love to hear more about it.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Isn't the Wisconsin Pope machinery that which was built for and used in the New Jersey shop? IIRC, what little was salvaged from his SF shop was brought back East in a Gladstone bag. In all, there were at least 3 sets of machinery that Pope assembled to do his barrel work, the early set that went to Stevens with him then stayed when he left, the set that went to his SF shop and was destroyed before he got to do anything significant with it, and the final set he used in Jersey City until his death. Did I misread and or misremember my Pope history?

Froggie

It ain't easy being green!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Frog, that sounds good to me.

Brent

PS. if you ask about kicker springs for .22 over here, I can probably help. Email me if you still want one.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wonder if Pope used the Stevens rifling machine referred to elsewhere on this forum which is for sale on Ebay ...... could it have any of his mods on it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always wondered if Harry thought himself the unluckiest man alive.
Earthquake, then moving back to Jersey City!
He did survive...

Great tube, thanks Mark!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD
Originally Posted By: joelblack88
Seriously, if Tom Rowe ever gets the Pope book finished you will see that most of his machinery is still alive and well living 10 miles from me in southwest Wisconsin.

Can you expand on that? I'm only a few hours from SW WI, and I travel that way a few times a year to shoot at Lodi. So, if this is some place that is open to folks like me, I would love to hear more about it.

Brent,
Its in a private house and is owned by a gentleman who is employed as a machinist at the U of Wisconsin, Madison. He has it all working with overhead belts. He hopes to get it in a museum setting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.