March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (NCTarheel, Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 338 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#185360 04/08/10 06:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it would be pretty hard for anyone these days to duplicate the dynamics of an original Parker 16 on the 0 frame, although the Repro 2-gauge set probably comes closest. Brit game guns don't make the cut, just because of cost.

DRM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't remember how the original RBL pricing compares to that now listed for their Reserve models.

Can someone provide a comparison for base price and options then and now?

DRM #185455 04/09/10 08:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

My 20 gauge with DT, splinter, straight grip, 3X wood and French grey frame (plus a blued trigger guard per my request) was about $2860 PIF, delivered to my FFL. Helluva deal. My 28 gauge with standard (very nice) wood, standard case color, and 30" barrels, otherwise the same, came in around $3450. Very good deal.

DRM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Replacement,

I think your 28 gauge was a helluva deal as well since Galazon's base price now for their Reserve 28 gauge is $4150 or $700 more. That's a 20% increase in base price.

I should have bought both a 20 and a 28 at the time they came out. Thought about them both but never did.

DRM #185461 04/09/10 10:22 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

The only problem I had with my RBL 12 was too much game and not enough shells! It's over seven and yes it does get heavy tromping through the hills of Western PA, but I had my best season ever with this gun. I bought it with 26 inch tubes, double trigger, straight grip and splinter forend. It also has exhibition wood that is really sharp. It has the heavy and thick recoil pad that if I could go back in time I would have traded out for something thinner and lighter.

I looked long and hard for nearly a year at just about every double under the sun from Parkers and Repros to Ithacas and Foxes and a slew of English and Euro guns. In the end I just couldn't pass up a US made, brand-new in the box gun with removable choke tubes and a lifetime of gunning ahead of it. Before I bought my RBL my heart wanted a double with some history and stories behind it, but my head told me to buy something that I can (hopefully) get decades of service out of.
It arrived eight months after ordering and I have been totally pleased with it every time I have gone out (nearly 30 different hunts this year).

I'm also a one-gun man (at least until my next purchase!) so I wanted something as versatile as I possibly could get for my cash. My old Ithaca M37 never left home this year, and it might not until one of my sons need it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, new to this place so please accept my being blunt. Might as well wet the post right away!

I think the RBL worked, There are a few leftovers but they are moving out. Most that own one, in all the gauges are satisfied to thrilled. A few are not. Much like any other product.

Some observations on the weight of the RBL 16's. Some are truly light. And most, are well, not. One recently advertised at 6# 2 Oz. didn't set long! Can we agree that that is light? Mine is 6# 4 Oz, balances 1/4" forward of the pin and does not feel like anything other than a nice handling gun. the same weight and balance point as a lot of Merkel 1620, AyA SL etc. in 16. Don't believe me? Do some research. As to Classic American SxS, some Fox and Ithaca Flues 16's will be 6# + or - an Oz or two, or maybe three. Parker O frame? The one I have handled was 6# 4 Oz and was butt heavy, not a good example and I am sure there are better balanced, lighter ones out there. L.C. Smith, good fortune to find one at 6#8! Most of the rest? Not anywhere close! 6# 16 Ga guns are not that common.

Asbestos suit at the ready!

Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chief - I'm curious about your 6 lb./4 oz. RBL 16.

The 29" barrels of my RBL 16 are quite light at 2 lbs./12.5 oz., and the splinter forend is 9.5 oz. The frame is short and compact, the buttstock unnecessarily thick and heavy. Wrist circumference on mine is 4-3/4", and butt dimensions are 5" x 1-5/8". What stock dimensions do you have? I expect you have the buttplate, and likely the shorter 14-1/4" LOP?

I had them fit a thin Galazan pad which I'm currently using instead of the buttplate. This gets mine to 15" LOP and adds nearly 2 oz. net of weight - with the buttplate mine's a shade over 6 lbs. 8 oz. I could take more wood out of the butt to reduce weight and move the balance forward, but I like it as is. My hands aren't small, the thick wrist is comfortable for carrying with one hand while the other is parting cover or on the whistle to turn or stop my dog. And the comb thickness is nice on the cheek for shooting clay targets. Tradeoff is I did need to bend the stock for some cast off.

Jay

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jay,

The gun is actually a shade less! It has the standard 29" barrels, SG/SF, SST, HRBP. Stock demensions are 14 1/4, 1 1/2, 2 3/8 with 3/8 CO, (a small extra charge at the time) BP is 5 X 1 5/8 same as yours. I agree that the stock has a lot to work with. I am leaving mine alone but if I were looking to shave an Oz or two it's there. I stayed with the 2X wood and got lucky, a nice looking stock. I could use a slightly longer LOP but later in the season it was just right. I have no complaints on the wrist, I don't have huge hands but I'm not delicate either. To me, the wrist has nowhere near the clubby feel of a Berretta Silver Chunk.

I don't care for ejectors and I wish that they had been optional. I wonder about removing the mechanism from the forend. That should lose an Oz or two but I like the balance and don't want to change it. So I cover the barrels on opening.

If CSMC would have offered shorter barrels, extractors, a true SF and a more gracile stock these would have been very light guns.

Chief

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.