April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Marks_21, Hammergun, Jolly Bill), 446 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am interested…
The above Brownell signed rifle is marked "Taylor& Robbins, Rixford, PA"

We all want to know more about our guns!
Thanks~~

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great first post, welcome to the forum. That is just the kind of first hand knowledge that I find interesting. I remember reading about Taylor and Robbins in old bench rest shooting publications.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: edj
I also recently purchased a model 70 270 barreled by T & R and possibly stocked by Roy Pullen. Stock is a lefty. Was told it was built for Crawfod Hollidge. I would like to know more about this rifle.

If you check my post directly above yours you will get the explanation for your rifle. Now that I think about it, I believe that Crawf did say that is was stocked by Roy Pullen. I will check in my records. I used to have a polaroid photo of it which I got from Crawf which had the information on the rifle on the back. I will be glad to pass it on to you, if I can find it. I have no idea who Roy Pullen might be.

edj Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

According to an old post from a few years ago Roy Pullen worked for Westley Richards then Shanandoa gun shop in virginia. The rifle pictured on that post is the one I have now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A name not previously mentioned is that of HAL HARTLEY from Lenoir, North Carolina. Hal was a stockmaker specializing in hard maple -- both birdseye and fiddleback; usually with a sharply contrasting "SUIGI" blowtorch finish. His checkering almost always included ribbons. I don't think he did much/any metalwork, but his fancy maple stocks were featured every year in Gun Digest during the 1950's and 1960's.

Jerry Goldstein

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if Pullen worked for Hutton before he worked at Shenandoah Gun Shop or whether they worked together there. Hutton came to "The Mountain" from Parker Whelen. I wonder if Pullen took the same route? I think Hutton was up on the mountain behind the gun shop. I'm not sure he ever came down to work at Shenandoah.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal Hartley had a symbiotic relationship with my friend the late gundsmith Harry Creighton of Nashville, TN. Harry did no stock work other than for himself, and Hal did no metal work, so they referred customers back and forth.

I have what may be the largest collection of Creighton-Hartley rifles in existance, mostly single shots done in maple, but some bolt actions as well, done in walnut. Hal was a fine person and great to work with.

This is a typical Creighton Hartley project, a 6mm-.225 on a Winchester High Wall:

Last edited by xausa; 12/19/15 11:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My buddy had a M2 Springfield done by Hartley who he knew personally as he went to school with Hal's daughter. Nice gun but kinda heavy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

xausa, that 'wall is gorgeous. And maple makes sense in a varminter where you can sit in a good spot and "reach out and touch" the prey. Not for a "walking varminter," tho.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Aron Gates from San Diego was an exceptional craftsman. I have all of his hand tools and most of his fixtures and his north star carving machine is happily working away at Wenigs in MO.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.