May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (gunman), 841 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,542
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some names I would like to see more information on and pictures of their work are,

John Hutton,

Carmon & Son Longmont, Colorado

Morgan Holmes

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wilbur J Hauck

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you everyone for the input, very interesting. I was not around for the first half of the post-war era, and for a good part of the second half I either running around in diapers or crashing motorcycles. My impressions are based on reading dads complete collection of Gun Digests, and looking at the rifles I could at gun shows. So please, keep this in mid when reading the following. These are just my observations, please feel free to correct them as needed.

It seems to me the post war era could really be divided into three parts. The first, I would all a transition era. Lets say from 1945 thru about the early 60's. During this time scopes were becoming common place, and the modern classic style had not yet really been defined. A lot of pre-war makers were still active, and some of them I think had trouble trying to make stocks that were suited to scope use yet still attractive. Tom Shelhamer is one of these. While his workmanship is consistently very good, his post-war cheek pieces take some time to grow on you. I do not think his post-war work is as elegant as his pre-war stocks.

The second era seems to be from about the mid 60's, thru the mid 80's. By this time the modern classic style, other than a few refinements, had pretty much been defind. What we did see during this time was not so much a change in what was done, but a great increase in the quality that is was being done to. Fit, finish, detailing, and checkering all were refined to nearly perfection in the top makers work.

Once the quality was raised as far is it could humanly be, the top makers started to look for other ways to show off there craft. This is what I see as the current era. The top craftsman are doing things that are just mind blowing. In some ways I think we have gotten away from "form follows function" of the classic style, and we are doing things just for the sake of saying we did them. I certainly hope this is not taken as a criticism, as I say the work being done is just incredible, but doing something just for the sake of doing it, or using some exotic material just to show that you can, is not to my mind in keeping with the classic style.

Again, just my observations, I'd love to hear from some smiths who have been active thru this whole era who can tell me how far off base I am.

A few more names that I don't think have been mentioned yet, Dale Goens and Sterling Davenport.

Thank you everyone, this has been very informative.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I came late to shooting and hunting. While still going to gun shows to buy camo and ammo about 20 years ago I was surprised to meet a gentlemen at a booth at a show in white Plains, NY. He was in the basement of the County Center building surrounded by fake military pins, milsurp clothes and jerky but his wares were like none I'd seen. His name is George Beitzinger and he still makes custom guns, mostly Mausers, in Brooklyn, NY.

He worked at G&H when Joe Fugger was there, I'm not sure when he went out on his own. Michael, I'll call him again this week to see if he wants to talk.

Most of the top makers today are on the west coast, it's nice to have someone in my backyard. George's guns come up for sale, here are a few.

I have no idea what others think of his work and truthfully I have not handled enough guns by other makers to put George in a ranking, nor do I care to. But that's not what matters to me so much as George was very polite to this neophyte, took time to explain his work and gave me the peek in the door that has snapped at my heels to this day.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gents,

Chuck Grace, Trinidad.

Good shooting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed, Chuck is a fine gunmaker and an even nicer person.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Took a Marln 39 to George Beitzinger several years ago to have scope blocks installed. Gave him a sketch to show where I wanted them. He put them where he, not me, thought they ought to go. I paid him, but have not been back.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob Snapp.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Boxlock
Boxlock

charlie is a friend of mine says he would like to know the history of the gun he barreled for you

Boxlock
Boxlock

does anyone have a gun made by a gunsmith by the name of grossman in the cin ohio area looking for 3006 or one of his trademark .17 calibers

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.