April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (DaveB, ChiefC, Argo44, Skeeterbd, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi:

A friend of mine told me that the local gun expert has a chance to buy a German mfg. 16 ga. O/U that has been engraved with game scenes.

Now stay with me on this one. The game scenes change animals ie. rabbits to geese to grouse. with the different the angle of the viewer's eye. As one looks at a lesser angle of 90 degrees, this is when the scenes change.

This process is a medieval art that begins with the letter "A" and has been in art before. I even saw it during my sheltered life.

What is this effect called and have anybody ever seen a gun engraved in this manner?

I know nothing about the gun but I am going to ask if I may see it. Sounds very cool.

Sincerely.

Zeke

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a technique wherein the plate is cut in ridges, like checkering, and the faces on the left can be dimpled with one image, and the other sides with another. Is that what you mean? You must look at it at a very low angle to see only the faces of one side of the ridges.
Not common at all.
An image that morphs through optical illusion, like an Escher print, or as an example, "The Witches" would be easier.
Get some pictures!

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe the Escher print changes from one figure to another without changing the angle of the eye, a manipulation evolving from one to another: flowers to fish. Uncommon wouldn't be the word for what you describe, particularly from an engraving on steel. Magic would be more like it!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Franchi, I have not looked it up, but I remember early Greek or Roman art and the term Agora or similar. When I heard it it was 50 years ago, but I do think it related to animals. If I am on spot, I'll be more amazed than anyone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agora is a Greek word meaning a meeting place for a number of people. It can also be a prefix. Medical terms usually have Greek prefixes and Latin suffixes. Example--Agoraphobia, a fear of such places and many people.

Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, it was 50 years ago, so I think I should get a free turn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A marketplace is a good place to find those retro plastic keychain fobs with a Buick at one pov and Betty Grable at another. Agora IS an ancient art process to wit (which at this day is to Google), an application of pigment and wax to? perhaps amphorae.

If you were making images on the two opposing sides of parallel "furrows" made by an engraving chisel, you'd stipple or "dimple" one image onto all the facets which are the north side of the furrows; the other image on all the facets which constitute the south sides of the furrows just as CZ says. To view, you would have to change your pov as with the novelty keychain. Not as easy to rotate a gun action as it is a keychain but no great hardship in the interest of capital-A Art.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl:
It looks as your recollection is correct.
Good on you and thanks to the Rabbit, as well.

I am thinking that we don't see this due to its difficulty. It must take the skill of a true master's master to do it well.

Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

To add a third intermediary image would require the blending of the main points of the images in a straight on view. I've seen this (Gasp), in comic books where you fold the pages to get a different image. Also an old episode of CSI.
But it would take a Bank note engraver to do a hologram like engraving at such a small scale.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damn, Rabbit, I just poured a glass of wine and saw your post. Suddenly I don't feel so feeble minded. Maybe like holograms [sp?] today. John, I thought you caught me, but now I can hunt another day. One of the values of taking 2 years of Latin in high school.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.