May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Sandlapper, Hammergun, Roundsworth, David Williamson, Wild Skies), 871 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,486
Posts545,296
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#181546 03/06/10 09:35 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Is there a traditional way of hiding old sling swivel mounting holes? I have an old European sxs which is in very good shape. Unfortunately one earlier owner decided to mount sling swivels. The same, or a later previous owner decided to remove them. Both front and rear swivels were screwed in. There are two small holes in the metal between the barrels that were covered with a small piece of black electric tape and a single hole in the stock that was filled with wood filler and covered with a circular piece of chrome tape. It actually looks better than it sounds, but I would like to replace it with something that looks a bit more professionally done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a nice Spanish gun with the same problem. Had a gunsmith redrill and tap the holes in the bottom rib to accept a couple of flush fitting blued screws. For the butt stock hole, he fitted a German silver initial oval. Went with silver to match the coin finish frame.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once removed sling swivels from a Spanish sidelock. Keith Kearcher welded in the two holes in the bottom rib and rust blued the area so it was almost invisible. I was able to fit a matching piece of walnut into the hole in the stock by sanding it to fit, epoxying it in (sawdust in the epoxy), and sanding it flush. Once it was finished over you really had to be looking to notice. The gun has moved along to another so unfortunately can not post pictures for you.

Dustin says, "Today is a gift, Have Fun."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Remount the sling swivels, they are quite handy and probably original on that European gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like Jerry's suggestion. If they have rings(loops) on them that rattle, remove the loops, drill through the studs and you can attach a sling, when needed, using QD attachments. Could be handy, at times.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another vote for replacing the swivels. I have 3 older European shotguns, 2 FN's and a Demoulin, and they all came with mounted swivels...... In the woods the sling is a handy thing at times. And it is correct to the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A dab of black silicone does nicely in the barrel holes.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd also replace the swivels with as near to original as you can find and get a suitable sling too. Never noticed any disadvantage to handling/shooting a shotgun with the swivels when the sling is detached and the sling can be very handy in certain situations. Like "mountain climbing" for chukars. And when going to a turkey stand in the dark. And when hiking to a duck blind with a sack of decoys, calls, coffee, people snacks, dog snacks....

We tend to think a double with swivels doesn't "look right." But the guy who originally hunted with that gun would have said it looked wierd without 'em. One of my buddies objected to the swivels on my Valmet rattling/clinking a little. I reminded him we were hunting grouse, NOT the VC!

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies and many good suggestions. The thought of mounting swivels was in the back of my mind. That is probably the most painless fix. Anyone have a suggestion for a source of early style swivels ~1920? A quick look in my Brownells catalog showed mostly modern stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember someone answering this q with the idea of tapping a lead
shot pellet into the hole?
Never had gun with swivlels,so not sure...But if it sucks it's Not my idea ,OK ?.. wink
Franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 03/12/10 11:31 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.