April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 409 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#179862 02/23/10 03:09 PM
Charl Offline OP
OP Offline

Are there any guidelines as to when a English double shotgun or rifle will have flattop checkering instead of pointed checkering? I have seen plenty of English doubles with pointed checkering and I recently had a vintage Rigby, with what appeared to be pointed checkering, recutt and a fellow collector pulled up his nose, stating that no Prewar Rigby ever had anything but flattop checkering. By the way, he also stated that prewar Rigby rifles were never made with cheekpieces? Most of the English doubles that I own, have pointed checkering but I am now worried that this might not be original.
Regards,
Charl

Sidelock
Sidelock

On English guns, most of the original, flat-top checkering that I've seen has been on 19th century guns. Most of them have been hammer guns.

A friend of mine ordered a Best grade O/U and he had to fight to have them put flat-top checkering on it.

Here's an all original Rigby rifle from 1911 with a cheekpiece:

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default.aspx...&GunID=1745

I can't tell which style of checkering it has.

Here's another rifle from 1902:

http://www.jamesdjulia.com/auctions/catalog_detail_shots.asp?Details=37407&sale=264

That doesn't look like flat-top checkering to me. I may be wrong, though.

The checkering on this shotgun looks pointed:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/968526274/Guns/Shotguns/Rigby-Shotguns/John_Rigby_Sidelock_12ga.htm#

I don't know if it is original.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 02/23/10 04:12 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My take is that checkering quality - pointed diamonds, straight patterns (on point patterns) that match the shape of the diamonds, no overruns - is not valued in England nor in Italy or most of Europe. The work I've seen over the last 100 years or so that is flat topped is not uniformly that way and is sloppy execution. The best checkering in the world is and has been done in the U.S., IMO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

GF1 you may be right on where the best checkering comes from today. But those sharp pointed diamonds don't belong on most vintage guns, American or European. Some of the finest execution will be found on some British flat top examples, but not all. Higher end French guns often have wonderful workmanship in their checkering.

Sidelock
Sidelock

To my eye, and the opinion of several gunmakers I've known, flat top checkering is the most difficult to properly execute. All flat top diamonds need to be the same size to not be distracting. Sharp diamonds can be overcut and never be detected. Also, from a practical standpoint, sharp checkering can be a real hinderance to a proper mount. When mounting and shooting a double gun both hands are moving a lot. The last thing I want is for sharp checkering to grab the hand, interrupting the mount and swing or moving the hand for a second shot.

Here's a great example of perfect flat top checkering. On my Greener from 1872. Only about 10 lines to the inch but very attractive and practical.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe, your John Harper is a good example of good flat top checkering. Do you have any pics ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
Also, from a practical standpoint, sharp checkering can be a real hinderance to a proper mount.

First I've ever heard that....OK if I use it?

"I'd have gotten that bird but my checkering is too danged sharp." blush

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a hammergun with properly executed flat top checkering, after I get the gun back from some guy up in Wisconsin, I'll take more detailed pics of the checkering....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, that is a darned good excuse....I've had great luck with it for years. In my book it's excuse #63b.12 wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, here's a pic of the John Harper's grip. Gun is probably from after WW2. Harper worked in Birmingham and at one time was a Guardian of the proof house. The checkering provides a good grip but does not grab as sharp diamonds would.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.