April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dave Weber, Jimmy W, Hammergun, Hoot4570, 2 invisible), 214 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,988
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen(and of course "Ladies").What a Splendid thread! It warms my'Old London Gunmakers Cockles & Mussel" to know that the Quality that we'Benchworkers'from back in the 1950s-& 1960s, useing our Hacksaws, files,Hammers, Drawknives, Chisels,Chest-Brace & Chisels, Wheel-Brace, Linseed-oil& Lumps of Rottenstone, etc.and of course...."The Artistes"..Without whom the Gunmakers would never be able to sell their Un-engraved Lumps of Wood & Steel "Joking, of course there Lads"...C/C

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Hello David! Haven't seen you posting around these parts for quite some time - unless I'm just not reading the right threads...

Sidelock
Sidelock

George, I think that quote captures the essence of the term "Best Gun" regardless of where it is made and by whom.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dam-16.Still at the "Chippin & Chewin" Had some Heavy HI-End Shotguns to "Re-Build, Re-Furbish,Re-Stock, Reproduce. "Best-Guns"(& Rifles)All". Several Very Happy Collectors are Rubbing & Oiling their "Back to All Original" Examples of "Best Quality Guns" Built from the Period 1819 thru 1999..Had Fun on my visit to Jim Julia's with Cap't James Fender, The examples of "Best-Guns & Rifles can be seen on their website.(I hope they advertise here on Dave's "Site"??) This coming auction has some really Good examples of"BEST" American Shotguns, some in their original condition, both wood and metal. Some, sad to say, have been"Re-Furbished" to Non-Original patterns, shapes,and differ greatly from "Factory Specs."& photos taken of the Original Owners with the Original Gun. There is some nice Documentation that a Good Friend of mine has put in the auction to go with Ansley H. Fox Sr# 31088,The H.E 12b.....Several "Well Known Authors & Photographers"( Myself Not Included in this Group as I Stripped the gun down and shot"Good Photos of all the Important Parts) they are "Poo-Hooing"(Bo-Wooping) the gun as a Phoney!!!! To date I've spoken with 14 doublegunshop.com Readers and "Many" SSM. Readers about #31088..I think Fairfield Maine on March 15-16th will be a "Interesting Place to watch what happen's to an American"Best Shotgun" with Providence out the Ying-Yang....I would post photos but I'm still treadling my Lathe for power for the Wifes Computer!Posting Photos is beyond me. "Best" C/C

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Treadling your lathe for power"?? what happened, neighbor cut your wires?

From what I've been told by another who examined 31088 it's the real deal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dean that gun makes me as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

JMHO Tim, but I think it will be a "Bid with Confidence" auction on that gun among the few who have followed it and its provenance (and those who trust them) in the past year or so. But, like I said - JMHO

Dean

Last edited by DAM16SXS; 02/22/10 07:06 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dam16...The gun I examined with Capt' James Fender, (He was with me when I "Stripped down the Parker A1 Spl.that was (Or was-Not) Built for Tsar Nick, of Russia) The A.H.Fox #31088 is the HE that is Documented in Callahan's letter. I stripped the Action, Trigger-Plate, Trigger Guard from the Stock. I shot several close-up Photos just for the record, Serial No's all match. I had with me a Fox HE that I am "Up-Grading" with Barry Hands doing the exact engraving from a Wm Gough FE. I used it as a Ref.against the #31088. It seems that the "Doubting Thomas's"Dont seem to want to belive that this HE. "MIGHT BE" the Gun that went missing in Action those many Duck-Shooting Seasons Ago.....Should be a "Spirited Group of Punters" at Fairfield on the 15th March..C/C-dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

The truth remains the truth whether you believe it or not.

Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.