May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, prairie ghost, Guy Ave, SKB, 2 invisible), 906 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#178604 02/13/10 10:17 AM
peters Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I gust bought a Baker sterling 12 ga trap. I have always wanted one but could never find one I could afford. I shot it the other day and can't believe how enjoyable it is to shoot. The recoil is very soft I could shoot it all day. I shoot a Remington 1100 for trap and the Baker shoots just as soft. I am surprised at the technology for a gun almost a 100 years old. I shoot WWAA shells 18 gr. of red dot, cb1100 wads, and 1 oz. of shot. 8600 psi. Before any body gets a chance to tell me I know it only has 2 1/2" chambers but I just had to shoot it,about 5 rounds. And it is parable one of a few guns of that era that can take it.
Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

More likely 2 5/8 chamber, if it's not kicking may be lengthened to 2.75. Trap shooters support more gunsmiths than any other type of shooter.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

The chances of it having original chambers at this junction in time are about zero.
Measure them!
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, oddly enough, most of the couple of dozen Baker single barrel trap guns I have measured with the Brownell's solid gauges and my bore gauge with measuring increments, measure 2 1/2" chamber length. Most of the Paragon doubles measure 2 3/4" from the same era. Not quite sure why. The Galazan folding multi gauge chamber measurer seems to measure the Trap Gun chambers about half way between 2 1/2" and 2 5/8".

peters Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Bill like Daryl I have measured it with both Galazan folding gauge and the Brownell's solid gauges and it measure 2 1/2". This gun has some pitting on the barrel and some light rust on barrel at the receiver. So that makes it a good shooter it has lost a lot of its value because of that, if I were to reblue it that would take away from its value so I have decided to open it to 23/4" and in joy it for what it was meant for. I apologies to the purest but there are enough of them for you gentlemen to collect. The gun is tight so do you think it will be safe to open it to 2 3/4", knowing the history of the strength of Baker.
Pete

peters Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

ttt

Sidelock
Sidelock

Before I invested in a rechamber job, I'd try the old 6" scale method. The chamber may be a "Bit Tight" rather than short. To do this if you don't have one buy one of those little 6" metal flexible scales from your home improvement store for about $3.00. Hold your bbls up toward a window or other light (but not with the sun on it) & look down the bore until you see the forcing cone as a shadow. Slide that scale in beside your face holding one edge against the chamber wall where-ever is convenient to see. Slide it in till the corner just touches the shadow. You won't feel it, but can see it. Mark the scale at the breech & read the depth. Repeat a few time to insure you are being consistent. With just a wee bit of practise you will find you can consistently measure the chamber length to the smallest graduation on one of these scales, which is plenty accurate.
As a chamber body has about .005" taper per inch should the end of the chamber be only .001" smaller than the dia of a precision gage made up to SAAMI specs it will indeed stop .200" short. In talking of guns of this age tolerances may well have been a little looser than today. Unless that gage just happens to be a perfect match in dia to the small end of the chamber the scale can actually be the more accurate method of measuring it.
As 2½" was never really a standard length for 12ga shells in the US & trap shooters were more prone to using the longer hulls for a better wad column, I seriously doubt the gun was designed with 2½" shells in mind.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.